Hi, still kinda lacking in computer knowledge, just got a question.

DeadlyVaccine

Beta member
I recently made the decision to start saving up to purchase a desktop computer to replace my laptop, mostly because my laptop is crap and I like to game. I've been browsing different sites that sell and allow you to custom build and ran across several computers that only listed as having a GPU and not an actual graphics card. I'm really new to researching computer hardware, and the best I could do was the learn the difference between the two. So my question is, if the computer is only listing a GPU, is it already integrated through a graphics card? Or, since the card isn't mentioned, is the GPU the only source for rendering, in which case, is it capable or gaming on it's own? The particular GPU i'm looking at is an Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti.

The GPU processes the video data. It may be incorporated into the motherboard, or on a discrete video display adapter card. So, if a computer is advertised that it has a GPU and not video card then it has a GPU incorporated into the motherboard. On top of that, a motherboard with a GPU built in it will usually have a PCIe port so that you can install a video display adapter (graphics card) and not use the on board GPU.

[edit]
The thing about computers with integrated graphics is that the performance is a little lack luster. If you want gaming performance you should install a separate, high performance, graphics card.

Newegg has a youtube video with lots of good information.

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 1 - Choosing Your Components

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 3 - Installing Windows & Finishing Touches

You're right, it does hace a PCIE 2.0 x16 the last part of my question though, is a GPU capable of serious gaming by itself? I looked at a few of the reviews for the computer i'm looking at and everyone seemed to enjoy it and it runs games like Star Craft 2 and Duke Nukem Forever on very high settings pretty easily, but i'm not sure if any of them adopted a graphics card along with the GPU

There are a lot of factors to consider. In any case, for best performance use a separate video card. If you are trying to save money (aren't we all) you can always try the on board GPU with your games and if it doesn't work up to snuff, you can purchase a separate graphics card later.

Back
Top Bottom