Hi i'm new here.....

Gateway_gtxxxxx

In Runtime
Hi i'm new here I have a Gateway desktop, lexmark x2350 printer, and a gateway 21" moniter. My motherboard is a Intel 945G motherboard. I a'm thinking of upgrading it myself on a budget. But i'm researching if the setup I wanted to do would be good.

I already have:
Intel Pentium D processor 820, 2.8 Dual Core, 800MHz F.S.B, 2x1MB L2 cache
1GB (2x512MB) DDR2 Dual Channel Memory
250GB SATA HDD
8-in-1 Memory card reader
Double Layer 16x Multi Format DVD_+RW Drive
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edtion Service Pack 2

I want to add on:
1GB (2x512MB) DDR2 Dual Channel Memory
Xmdia GeForce 6200 w/Turbo cache/supporting 256MB/PCI express video card
Pinnacle PCTV 110i PCI TV Tuner and recorder
Netgear - 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI adapter (for my DSL)
and maybe later on a 250GB HDD if I need it.

So tell me what you think and if they are good products or not?

I'm not a gamer so I'll stay out of that part.
The gigabit card is a waste of money. Even if you have a gigabit router, the modem only operates in the megabit range. The gigabit cards run 30 to 40 dollars US while a 10/100 can go as low as 3 dollars US. Usless you plan to tied your system to a gigabit hardwire network it's a waste of money.
Now with all the goodies you have and the cpu set up heat is going to be the one thing you want to take care of. Make sure you have sufficent air flow thru the case. I would suggest getting something like the Cooler Master line of fan and temp sensors add on. It fits in a 5 1/4 bay and besides keeping an eye on the temps just looks cool.
Watch out for the cheap knock offs. Stick with brand names.
Now one last and most important thing. Make sure all you want to add works with what you already have. Check the psu rating. You add more goodies, you need more power. Again, go with proven brand names.
You buy cheap, you get cheap...

ok thanks everyone, i wasnt really sure about that graphics card ethier, and the ethernet card i was thinking of keeping my existing one. so thanks again.

is the nvidia 7300 GS 256 MB 16x PCI Express a good card for gaming? all i play is the sims 2. but what other games can it handle?

Back
Top Bottom