Help! Vista Dell with xp cloned from another machine

craig198

Solid State Member
hi all I am totally confused.

okay this all takes place on one big hard drive.

C: is original factory vista install.
D: is factory recovery
E:cd/dvd
F:cd/dvd
G: is named xp clone partition and is where xp was cloned from previous computer

so C,D,and G partitions are on one physical disk.

im using vistabootpro and ive tried everything I can think of in order to get xp to boot with no success. ive pointed to g, c, d, install legacy, install vista bootloader nothing. always get missing ntldr or just a black boot with a restart of computer back to boot menu.

I guess I should of asked this first...is it even possible to get the xp clone to run?

No.
You will have to use the XP CD.

and I don't think that will work easily either, you can install XP and THEN install Vista, but installing XP when Vista is already installed is a bit more complicated...

most people who run a dual boot install XP and then Vista, it's easier that way...

thanks guys. ya I think im giving this one up. tried a chkdsk /r ,fixboot, and didnt want to try a fixmbr as it might mess up vista partition. thanks for the help though.

Even to run the XP HDD as a standalone OS, it still won't work b/c the clone is setup for another system, so it doesn't have the drivers and such for the system you are putting it in.

ya I was planning on the drivers not working right. but I thought it would still be able to boot into windows at least.

tried that already chkdsk /r went through 3 phases and it said it found and fixed some errors but no go. any other ideas? pretty sure a clone is not going to run right? the reason it has to be a clone is because autocad needs to be kept as I have no activations left for autocad.

Back
Top Bottom