Help with Ubuntu Linux

alvino

Golden Master
I'm thinking of using Linux (Ownage is giving me the CD for Ubuntu, thanks) for my old computer and I had some questions for those who have used or has had experience with Ubuntu or similar programs.

When you install it, do you have to reformat? Or can you still install it with an existing OS on the hard drive (Windows XP)?

Also, how do you do a dual-boot?

I'm such a newbie when it comes to software...:p

You can install more than one os on the drive, you're just gonna have to format another partition, unless you used the entire disk as a partition when you installed windows.

ARGHHH!!! I knew using the whole thing as a partition was a bad idea...

Oh well, I guess I'll use my old computer, since I was also planning to install it on my current computer.

Unless there's some way to alter the size of a partition, I think you're out of luck, maybe partition magic can do that or something, I don't really know enough about it.

or u can *get* some type of live partitioning software like 'partition magic' or something like that.

I would try Partition Magic, but stupid Symantec charges $70 for it. :(

might want to try a live cd as a test first to see if you like it. linuxcd.org also has every distro for about $2. they ship fast too.(newegg.com status)

yea, gonna have to do a partition... if you do want to reformat then i believe (correct me if im wrong) during the installation of ubuntu you can partition the harddrive.

Also a HD isnt too expensive if you really wanna have ubuntu. GL

Logan said:
might want to try a live cd as a test first to see if you like it. linuxcd.org also has every distro for about $2. they ship fast too.(newegg.com status)

FYI you can get ubuntu live/installation cds sent to you for free from Ubuntu.com

Very easy to install and dual boot. If you need help post installation, ask me..I can help alot with the package manager/automatix...etc.
I have added you to my AIM list.

Back
Top Bottom