help please!

electro1

Baseband Member
ok i've just made a new computer all the parts are all in the right place!
i have a pentium 4 3.00ghz processor with a asus p4v8x-x motherboard but it won't load the files on my harddrive and when i used a hardrive deleting disk it deleted everything and then when i put a windows 98 (very old) disc in i got an error in the setup up then it has to restart!
it maybe something to do with my mother board i'm not sure can some body help me?

First...

Default the bios. Unplug it from the wall and either use the reset jumper or pop the battery out. Wait for a few mins and put things back like you found them.
Next check the drive jumpers. Hard drive on ide primary channel is master( and it's the boot drive) while anything else on that same cable is slave.
Same for the other ide cable.
I don't know how good you are at this so forgive me if it sounds like I'm treating you as a noob. It makes it easier for me to work that way.
If after you try both of those it still doesn't work come back and let's go from there.

i poped the batery out and now its got to where windows 98 is installing last time i got this far i had an error at 8% i'm going to check on it now...... its got to 60% :D so far....

If it still doesn't work that Setishocks help, it could very well be RAM, or it could be the disc if theres an error or big scratch on it.
Hopefully it has all worked perfectly though:)

not exactly now i've got nearly to the end of the set up and then it says error in a program and restarts !

Right.
Its probably the CD in that case. Is there any way you can send it back or get another one to copy windows and then use the info from that disc?

It could also be the RAM. If you have two sticks of RAM in the computer, try taking one out, and leaving one in. Try installing again.
If this then fails, take that stick out and put the other in, adn then try again.

Your bound to find one stick that will work. If you only have one stick though, you might have to find a replacement if that cd changing idea doesn't work...as it would be one or the other. It does seem more the CD's fault though having problems reading certain parts of the disc :( Though it could be the RAM also, because this is where the programs are stored after taking them off the disc to copy.

I hope this helps

bo there is no way i could get another copy of windows, i maybe able to get a friend to lend me a copy but they take a little convincing :p!
i managed to get it do that it was installed but i used a swipe disc to load on windows and it said it was not complete when i tried to load it up on normal mode but it works in safe mde any ideas why ?

Hmm yeah, safemode uses less drivers and programs to run, so that would be the answer to that.

You'll just have to lend one, or buy your own...

It probably is the CD in all accounts of things

Back
Top Bottom