Help With Overclocking... Pros Step In...

HiddenTalent

Baseband Member
I've never overclocked my system before, and it's a stout system for its age.

Its a 939 system with the following cliff style specs...

Athlon 64 3000+
2GB Ram
DFI Ultra Infinity Mobo
Sapphire x550 VC

What do you recommend the settings for overclocking be set to?

Suggestion from a guy on another board is as follows...

"- raise the CPU freq from 200MHz to 250MHz, but do it in 10MHz increments. Make all the rest of the changes listed below, but start with the CPU freq at 210. I doubt there will be a problem. Reboot & test the system...make sure you can boot into Windows & the system is stable, If it tests OK, go back & raise the CPU frq from 210 to 220, then boot into Windows again. If it becomes unstable or locks up at any time, it means you need to add a little votage to the CPU.

- change the RAM from AUTO (or DDR400/200MHz) to DDR333/166MHz
- keep the RAM timings at their defaults for now, eventually you can try for 2.5-3-3-7 @ 1T
- lock the PCIe bus at 100MHz
- if theres a setting for the PCI, set it to 33MHz
- set the HyperTransport (or LDT) to 800MHz (or 4x)
- if there are any Spread Spectrum settings, disable them
- if there's a Cool 'n' Quiet setting, disable it

If you can get the CPU freq up to 250MHz, the CPU will run at 2.25GHz, the RAM will run at 208MHz (DDR416) & the HT bus will run at 1000MHz.

If you wanna try to push the CPU even farther, lower the RAM setting from 166MHz to 150MHz, lower the HT bus from 800MHz (4x) to 600MHz (3x) & try bumping the CPU freq to 270MHz but this time, increase the freq in 5MHz increments."

What do you guys think?

try using this

Overclocking guide

i spent hours studying this

but i dont want to give an opinon to you right now because i've just started doing this, maybe some other guys around here will chime in

That guy knows what he is doing Hidden Talent so I would follow that. I would like to add that if you can unlock your multipliers do so and set it to the highest possible multiplier. This will make ocing much much easier! Bump up you voltage to 1.3V just to be safe and make sure that the oc's you do are stable. AMD cpus do not overclock that well in general so you won't be able to push it too far. I would not advise you to go above 1.35V or 280 fsb.

Theres a few things I realised when OC'ing an AMD set up.

You have to try and get the HT speed at about 1000MHz and using higher speed RAM helps you achieve the higher clock speeds you need to OC. Thats why I use PC4000 instead of PC3200 RAM. It means I can ramp my clock speed straight up to 250MHz and start from there while keeping the RAM ratio @ 1:1, or DDR400.

Your CPU will take 1.45V if you have a very good heatsink.

Thats true Remeniz but I still wouldn't advise him to raise the voltages to 1.45. For the oc he will be doing thats an overvolt.

Back
Top Bottom