HELP! New AMD TL-60 processor installed / now error 32 on boot-up

teamcrossworks

Beta member
I would appreciate any help!

I wanted to "upgrade" my daughter's Dell 1501 laptop and did some research on the internet (dangerous I know). I was lucky and found 2GB (the max for this laptop) RAM cheap and installed that...definitely made it faster. I then found (again on E-Bay) a AMD TL-60 processor and began the chore of changing that (lots of parts everywhere). I was proud to have made the change, thermal paste and all and the computer is running faster yet. Problem? When it boots up an error 32 message comes up along with "new hardware found". As long as I bypass these messages the laptop works fine (even though the new hardware message says it may not) I'm thinking I need to update the driver for the new processor yet I can't seem to find out where to do this. I tried once to follow the "new hardware" trail thinking the laptop would update itself only to get to a pint where it locked up and I had to reboot in safe mode and restore to a earlier configuration.

Again, any help would be much appreciated. My background is Motocross and Porsches...these computers will be the death of me. :confused:

There are no drivers for CPUs, other than the advanced Cool n Quiet driver for Windows XP. Which OS are you using?

Sounds like you did a good job overall, if it's just a device driver problem, you're doing great for someone who says you're not a computer person. ;)

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using Windows XP and when the computer recognized the updated processor and tried to update the software to match it after I rebooted "for the changes to work" the laptop would freeze with a dark gray screen. I had to reboot in safe mode and restore to an earlier point. I tried this twice with the same results.

Again...I appreciate the help. Very frustrating!

How do you know it was the CPU asking for drivers? Granted the coincidence is compelling, it could be a memory bridge or something that XP doesn't know what to do with.

Did you verify that the motherboard would accept the CPU? Is there a BIOS update available that might resolve any issues with upgrading the processor?

Boot the system up into safe mode and check the device manager. Is anything splatted (yellow exclamation mark) or have a - instead of a + next to it?

I was told the processor would work with the motherboard via numerous online users when I went looking for upgrades.

Bios update? I'm unsure what that is...sorry.

No check marks under Device Manager, everything has a + Also stated driver software was the latest available for processor

As I said the laptop works the best it ever has except the error messages upon boot-up.

I'm willing to bet a bios update may fix this. you should be able to search for them in Google, and there should be instructions as well.

well tried a BIOS update from the Dell website and now computer is stating "no operating system found".

I was aware of the power interruption issues but none occurred during this "flash".

Very upset at this point (daughter's laptop with school work on it). I've read about restoring the BIOS chip. Is this what I need to do next?

I'm drowning...:(

Thanks for the help again!

Whew...didn't drown. It seemed for some reason the computer locked up on start-up and just needed to be shutdown and powered back up. Updated BIOS and 4 other drivers Dell "recommended" successfully. Thank God!

I still get the same messages though on boot-up:

An error occurred while backing up file C:Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
This process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (error #32)

my choices are retry & cancel retry brings me to the same place again & cancel brings me to the following:

Do you want to continue Setup without copying this file?

my choices are yes & no yes begins to do something and then the laptop will freeze on a dark gray screen (as previously mentioned I had to boot into safe mode and restore to an earlier configuration...did this twice) & no lets me use the computer as normal

note: it does seem slightly slower after installing the updated Bios and driver software...may be my imagination

the operating system is on the hard drive, while the BIOS is on the motherboard. If it is not recognizing the hard drive, you may not have reinstalled it correctly when you had it out to replace the CPU. Otherwise, you may want to try another hard drive to ensure that it is not a port problem with the motherboard.

I did not have to remove the hard drive to access the processor when changed so I wouldn't think that was the issue but thanks...also as I said it works perfectly once past the error messages. If it wasn't recognizing the hard drive, wouldn't other issues arise?

Back
Top Bottom