Help with my first gaming pc build.

stuando

Beta member
I'm just about to order the parts for my first build.
I'm looking to find out what the best wattage psu I will need to run it.
Also my console has broke so need graphics beyond a ps3.
Completely new to pc building so here's the spec I've put together.

Intel core i5 3750k
Asus p8z77-v motherboard
Corsair vengeance 8gb ram
Ocz 60gb ssd
Dvd drive
Msi gtx 660ti power ed.
Cooler master storm scout.
Psu?

Please help as I'd like to order the parts in one go to get it built in one go.
Also is there anything else you'd recommend changing or upgrading?

Thanks.

Several suggestions.

1) Unless money is extremely tight, go for a 128GB SSD. It doesn't cost much more, and you'll appreciate the extra storage capacity. If you can afford it, you can buy 256GB SSDs now for well under $200.00 Stick with Crucial, Samsung, or Sandforce drives they are solid, and perform well.

2) Go with a full size case. A gaming PC, especially if you intend to over clock, requires a very high air flow chassis. Mid-tower cases don't provide that. Go with the Storm Trooper if you like that style, or the HAF 932 Advanced.

3) As for the PSU, it all depends on what you plan for the future. If you don't ever intend to purchase a second 660ti for SLI, or add any significant hardware, you'll do fine with a 500watt high quality PSU such as Corsair, Antec, or SilverStone. If you think you may want to add another card, then don't consider anything less than 850 watts.

What are you going to use for a back-up HDD?

+1 to everything Hameister said. If I were you I'd get a PSU of one of the brands he mentioned, plus SeaSonic which I have used extensively in the past. Many Corsair PSU models are actually made by SeaSonic (also XFX and some Antec models plus some other smaller brands are actually SeaSonic OEMs)

Also I'd get at least 1000 Watts. 850W is still great and will be cheaper, but a more powerful PSU will produce less noise and ripple under similar load conditions, when compared to a weaker one. Make sure you get one that features japanese capacitors.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Yeah I will be sure to up the ssd to a 120 and stretch for another one when the budget allows. These things are quite expensive here in the scotland. I do have a 1TB hdd to include as well though.
As for the case. The storm scout is my friends old case, would this be acceptable to use for a while until I buy myself a haf 932? If there's a big risk in overheating and possibly damaging any of the components I will of course wait.
Also as for Blue tooth being installed as I am used to using a ps3 controller with motion in joy in certain games. What's the best way to do that internally?

As I said. Thanks for your reply :)

Back
Top Bottom