Help!!! My computer won't start. Get'n weird beeps!!!

djskiggz

In Runtime
Hey guys.

So I am having problems with computer booting up. Yesterday I was playing starcraft 2 and all of the sudden my monitor blacked out. I tried to reboot and I get 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps.

Strange thing is, I've been getting this beep at random times for the past few months. Seems like it was sometime to do with a heating issue...because when I would have my computer on for some time and try to restart I would get these beeps. Then I would have to turn my pc off for like 30 seconds and turn it back on and then it would boot up.

But now, I can not get it to boot up AT all. I've tried several times to no avail.

Everything in my PC is stock, i didnt overclock or anything here are the specs

asus p6t deluxe
3gigs of corsair xms3 dd3 memory
visiontek radeon hd 4870 x2 video card.

I tried to reseat the memory and try 1 stick at a time, but the same thing happened. I also tried setting my video card into the 2nd pci express slot I have on my mobo, but that didn't work. I then took out the video card completely and tried to turn it on. It did the same thing! 1 long, 3 short. So i'm guessing my precious video card fried somehow? NOoooooooooooooo please don't tell me this. I spent about 500 bux on it. Can i fix it? I tried looking up the warranty and apparently you are supposed to register within 30 days or its not valid. I think i forgot to do that because I bought this system in 08 during christmas, so as you can imagine i was pretty excited. What should i do? Am I correct with my diagnosis? :(

Hopefully, you still have the documentation that came with the computer. In the userguide, there will be a section for POST errors. In this section, it will explain exactly what the 1 long 3 short beeps mean.

The power supply is pretty new. It was just replaced about 2 months ago. It was an antec quatro1000 or something like that. I checked the manual and the beep codes mean video card not detected. Is there anyway to check the video card to see if it's broken? :(

Also forgot to mention my processor, it's an intel i7 (its the lowest one on the totem pole) not sure what the number is at the moment.

The only problemo with sites like these (first site listed from search) is that each BIOS manufacturer has a different meaning and while there are several manufacturers listed on the site, the error messages are very generic and may not be as 'to the point' as the manual.

I checked the manual and the beep codes mean video card not detected. Is there anyway to check the video card to see if it's broken? :(

Is there another system that you can test it in? Or you can try a Video card from another system that is known to be good and this will be an indication of failed hardware as well.

theres nowhere i can really test it on. This is my only computer with a pci express slot.

I have a very good feeling it may be the video card. But only after 2 years??????? This thing was really exprensive. What a waste of money.

I guess I may have to go out and buy a new card and see if it works. Any recommendations on a new video card? I'd like it to have crossfire and be able to play games on max settings without slowing. And it must be equally as good as the HD 4870x2 or better!!!

Thanks peeps! ;)

Check your beeps meaning. don't waste our time.
Test with a technision.
Google

:eek:

technician.
This is a computer forum Brutus, people come here for help, either give constructive help or go away
technician.
I AM JUSY POSTING MY ALLOWED OPINION.
BEEPS HAVE A MEANING,MINE ARE IN MY MBD MANUAL.
AND GET LOST WITH YOURS
:p

I checked them already. Why reply if you can't avoid being an a-hole? ........and learn how to spell technician.

Back
Top Bottom