help with memory

AnonymousI

In Runtime
I am currently buying a laptop with 512 MB of RAM. I am wondering what the difference is between (2 x 256 MB) and (1 x 512 MB). Is one of them faster than the other? Which one should I get?

Nope, there not different in that sense.

Its just either 1 module of 512mb to use less space inside a PC, or two modules to equal the same memory but use more space.

Though there is a term called Dual Channel:

What this does, is if the motherboard and RAM supports it and you use two modules of RAM, it doubles the amount of memory that can be read at one time, and so theroretically almost doubles the speed of the RAM when used together.

i.e, I have 2x512mb chips to make 1GB because mine supports Dual Channel.

Though some Processors for example don't reward much from Dual Channel because of the speed they run at, and so sometimes, its best to get 1x of RAM, since it'd use less space for more upgrades later.

Though most PC's will get some reward from it, so its definietly a possibility if the Laptop supports this feature.

Kage is correct, one 512mb is better becuase then you can add more to achieve the maximum possible memory, i got 512mb in 2 x 256mb becuase i was on a cheap budget and that was what i got. I might upgrade to faster and more memory in the future as my mobo is capable of this.

Yeah, but you'll find sometimes that getting 2x of RAM is the same price as getting one module of the same spec RAM.

But yeah, if its Dual Channel and you've got more space to upgrade more later, go with getting 2 chips,

If you only have two spaces though for RAM, I'd get 1 512mb chip and you can upgrade to 1gb later if you like.

Thanks for the info... I plan to just get (2 x 256 MB) of RAM - shaved $50 dollars off. Besides, I am afraid to even mess with the insides.

just wonder does the ram have to match? like can i get one geil 3200 and another ocz 3200 and use them together and still get performance? or should i just get two matching ram?

I am not sure and i would not like to take the chance mate, just make sure that you use the same type.

AnonymousI said:
Besides, I am afraid to even mess with the insides.

Ahh...Computers are easy. Just make sure you've got the computer turned off and that you touch a radiator before opening it up (to stop static damage)

It is a laptop this thread seems to be about though :p

As for the RAM, GeiL's fine. Mines running off 2x 512mb of them.

Its also weird how buying two chips has ended up cheaper for you... Usually its about the same.

Back
Top Bottom