help with email from ISP??

borat_sagdiyev

Golden Master
so about 2 months ago, i downloaded star wars empire at war, just to see if the game was any good so i could buy it to play online if i liked it. so yesterday i get an email from my ISP (rogers) stating that I have broken copyright yada yada yada... Im not sure if this email is real because it did not have a rogers symbol or anything, it just said dear (my moms name, the internet service holder), and all this shit about copyright and stuff. and then it said what i downloaded (star wars empire at war) and it said I used "bittorrent" as the protocol, but i used bitcomet.

so im not sure if I should believe this. I talked to my friend about it and he said he got a similar one before from paramount pictures, but they didnt do anything after and he said it was a trojan and it wasnt from paramount. so should i be scared, or should i just let it pass? i normally dont download stuff, it was only that one time where I wanted to try out the game :(. it sucked....

john123 said:
so about 2 months ago, i downloaded star wars empire at war, just to see if the game was any good so i could buy it to play online if i liked it. so yesterday i get an email from my ISP (rogers) stating that I have broken copyright yada yada yada... Im not sure if this email is real because it did not have a rogers symbol or anything, it just said dear (my moms name, the internet service holder), and all this shit about copyright and stuff. and then it said what i downloaded (star wars empire at war) and it said I used "bittorrent" as the protocol, but i used bitcomet.

so im not sure if I should believe this. I talked to my friend about it and he said he got a similar one before from paramount pictures, but they didnt do anything after and he said it was a trojan and it wasnt from paramount. so should i be scared, or should i just let it pass? i normally dont download stuff, it was only that one time where I wanted to try out the game :(. it sucked....

Call them up and ask them if they sent you an email.

It sounds real. Firstly, Bitcomet is a BitTorrent client, so you would have been using the BitTorrent client. The best thing to do is stop downloading anything, just in case.

prosser13 said:
It sounds real. Firstly, Bitcomet is a BitTorrent client, so you would have been using the BitTorrent client. The best thing to do is stop downloading anything, just in case.

agreed, just stop downloading.

my isp doesn't care what i do, *knock wood*
but if i were you, i wouldn't call them and ask them, just stop downloading.

Man, what isp do you guys have? I didnt know they can do that, I have Verizon DSL and i download stuff 24/7 and not once did they ever call my house or send me an email..

What exactly did the email say? Anything about consequences, or did it just say it was a warning?

Dev, I have Freedom2Surf (I live in the UK), and as long as you don't download more than 25GB a week they let you get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom