Help with conflicting firewire hard drives...much appreciated

DanielJameS

Beta member
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, and registered because I can't seem to find a helpful answer to my problem. The short of it is, I have two external hard drives which I use for music production. I also have a firewire controller (mixing console.) Those are the three devices I have hooked up to the PC.

The two firewire drives are plugged into an expansion firewire card (compatible with computer and software) on the back of the PC. The firewire controller console is plugged into a seperate firewire port on the PC that came stock.

What's happening is if I try to turn all three devices on (even though seperately) the computer either locks up, or one drive will not mount. I've tried all different orders of turning each device on and the problem persists no matter the order. I have however, in the past after many attempts got all 3 devices to work simultaneously, but it is definately a chore...and rare that I get that working.

Here is a list of things I have tried:

1. Alternate firewire cable
2. Using only one drive(either or) and the mixing console (other drive off...this works flawlessly)
3. Plugging all devices into the add on firewire card.
4. Eliminating the main console from the add on card and running to stock port
5. Eliminating one of the HD's from the add on card and running to stock port
6. Updating Drivers
7. Daisy Chaining Drives
8. In addition, if both drives are powered on WITHOUT the firewire controller console...they both work and mount to the desktop.

I'm truly at a loss, Ive browsed through forums and can't seem to find a solution other than the above mentioned methods, all of which have not solved the issue.

Additional Info:
One drive is a Glyph 500G, the other is a AcomData 250G, the device controller is a Digidesign 002 console. I am sure the Glyph is a Oxford 911 chipset, not sure about the AcomData. There is some sort of conflict going on and I can't seem to get to the bottom of it, but it's driving me absolutely insane. Any of your help and additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Dan

It sounds like you're running into a bus power limit. I'm not as familiar with Firewire as I am USB, but common sense is telling me, especially with #2 being a good workaround, that you're stressing the onboard power of your motherboard & the add-in card too much by trying to run all three devices at once. If you got a powered Firewire hub, that should eliminate the problem.

Back
Top Bottom