Help with buying new desktop?

CSM84

Solid State Member
I am looking at buying a new desktop computer. It will be the the 3rd computer i have ever owned and the first desktop. I will be using it for movies, music, photos, games, &possibly doing some cheap home music recording with it and will also often connect it to the tv to use as a monitor. My knowledge of computers is somewhat lacking. I only know of a few things that i should look at in a computer. I am on a budget and dont want to buy something that is over kill but also dont what to buy somthing that will be useless in a year or two.

Processor
Ram
Hard drive
Graffic card

Not sure if their is anything eles i should be look at?

As far as the processors i have been looking and see that they have single core, dual, and quads. I am not sure what all this means. As far as i know it has to do with the speed of the computer. I dont know which one is enough for me with the things i will be using it for. Is a single core enough or do i have to have a dual core or a quad?

Also i have been looking at the graffic cards they come with I see alot of them are 512mb , 1gb , or 1.5gb Is 512mb enough?

Thanks for any help.

Do you want to build yourself, or buy from a manufacturer (dell, hp, etc)/

What kind of games did you want to play?

What is your budget?

No i dont what to build it myself, and i am also not much of a computer gamer yet but only because the computer i have now is an hp mini and can not handle games. My budget is somewhere between 600 and 750.

OK, here is what I recommend:

Athlon II x2 240
2GB DDR3
HD 4670 (vram doesn't really matter unless you have a high res monitor)
whatever size hard drive you want

I'll look at iBuypower and try to put one together if I have time later.

Damn... that site is a rip for low end computers. Do not buy from them.

$672 for what I could build for under $400.

I'll try to find you a better website.

go to portatech.com and and build this:

Athlon II x4 620
GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-S2P
2GB DDR2-800MHz Memory (Dual Channel Kit)
Performance Cooling Package
Windows 7 Home Premium
500GB 7200RPM SATAII (3GB/s) *if you need more storage space, buy your own Hard drive and add it as a second. It's cheaper than upgrading on this site.
Standard - Mid-Tower Case (Black)
Coolmax 600 Watt PS
onboard graphics *buy a HD 4670 on newegg and add it.
22X LightScribe DVD+/-RW Drive *OR add your own DVD burner from newegg for the same price as the upgrade. This way, you will have a DVD-ROM and a DVD burner.

Total cost: $488.37 + ~$70 for the HD 4670.

I guess my question was how powerful of a processor and graffic card do i need to do things i have listed above. I am living in Sweden so i think the shipping fees for the companies you have posted to build a computer would put me over budget. Here is one of the computers i am looking at getting. It is only a single core and im wondering if i need something more powerful than this. http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/st...ardBell-IMEDIAA3210NC-Viseo200ws(128219,4878). Or would you suggest i spend my money eles where?

I absolutely hate DELLs. I think that is not exactly the best way to go about this. OP, do you know anybody who could build the computer for you? If not, as a computer shop for a quote f you purchased all the parts, or better yet, do it yourself... so much cheaper, and easier than you can imagine.

Back
Top Bottom