Help with Basic Disk Volumes in Windows XP

mr.science

Beta member
How do I shrink a disk volume so I have unallocated space for creating an additional volume without using the format option in the Computer Management administrative tool? My disk has all of its space allocated for the C partition, and the rest for the boot partition which is quite annoying because I do not have additional space for creating additional volumes. It would be helpful if I could shave some memory off the volume because it does not use it for anything anyway. It doesn't have any files in it, but because the whole disk is a Primary C volume and the boot partition I can't create anymroe volumes on it, and have no idea how to "resize" the C volume. Could someone tell me how to do this without using computer management? Because I can't use the format option in there for some reason.

Im a bit confused here, how can it have all the space allocated for C, but then have space for a boot partition, C is your boot partition.

You cant format the C partition because it is your system partition. Also if you do use partition magic, make sure you back your data up, because shrinking a partition is risky.

google gparted its an opensource program that I think is better than partition magic.

Back
Top Bottom