HDMI to DVI conversion with audio

punkrockguy318

Beta member
I've got one of the new Xbox 360 with HDMI and component included. However, my TV is older, and not high definition. I can play my 360 on my old TV but I'd like to try it out in HD> I would like to have my 360 output a HD signal to my monitor (or a future monitor).

The monitor I am using for my PC is a Samsung 710N http://computers.pricegrabber.com/flat-panel-lcd-monitors/m/4161731/
It's a nice monitor, but doesn't support DVI. It only has VGA inputs.

Firstly, is there anyway to convert a component/hdmi signal to my VGA monitor?

Secondly, I know the next monitor I buy will have DVI. I've seen DVI-HDMI adapters (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189056) but what about audio? Is there a way to convert the audio from the HDMI to a headphone jack output and convert the video to a DVI?

Or thirdly, would it just be a better idea to buy a monitor with an HDMI ports

Is there any drawback in playing a gaming console on a monitor rather than a TV? What's the difference between an LCD TV and an LCD monitor?

thing is, when u output HD to a 4:3 signal, it usuallly letterboxes the picture. only like 65% of ur screen is gonna be used, unless u can crop it or if u can make the 360 display in ur monitor's native resolution (like 1024x768 or 1280x1024)

i plan to buy a Westinghouse L2410NM 24" HDCP compliant monitor. its more of a TV than a PC monitor acutally, and i think its a good purchase for long term HD viewing. look it up on Newegg, its available for a bout $400 if ur budget is that high

its native res is 1920x1200, and it'll display any signal stretched, original size, or cropped. So i plan to connect a PS3 to it in 1080p NOT stretched, just original size (very little of the screen will be black boxed). Look into an HDCP and widescreen monitor if u plan on getting anything new. DVI is HDMI so thats no problem

thing is, when u output HD to a 4:3 signal, it usuallly letterboxes the picture. only like 65% of ur screen is gonna be used, unless u can crop it or if u can make the 360 display in ur monitor's native resolution (like 1024x768 or 1280x1024)

i plan to buy a Westinghouse L2410NM 24" HDCP compliant monitor. its more of a TV than a PC monitor acutally, and i think its a good purchase for long term HD viewing. look it up on Newegg, its available for a bout $400 if ur budget is that high

its native res is 1920x1200, and it'll display any signal stretched, original size, or cropped. So i plan to connect a PS3 to it in 1080p NOT stretched, just original size (very little of the screen will be black boxed). Look into an HDCP and widescreen monitor if u plan on getting anything new. DVI is HDMI so thats no problem

thanks for the reply! i'll definitely look into that for my next monitor. for now, i'm just going to stick with my shitty TV and decent monitor. no use buying a huge ass monitor when i'll be away for school soon and i'll be using a laptop.

also: for the 360, there's a VGA cable for $40 to hook up a 360 to a monitor without DVI.

Back
Top Bottom