HDD partition too big to transfer to SSD

kevinmuff

Solid State Member
Im trying to get my OS from my 1TB HDD to my new 128 GB SSD that i just installed using norton ghost.
But, when trying to copy my OS, it is on a huge partition of my HDD around 998GB or something. So i cannot put that whole partition onto my SSD, what can i do?

You can't physically fit a 998GB partition onto a 128GB space as the numbers obviously suggest.

Check how much space your actually using on the 1TB drive; Start > My Computer then right click on the 1TB drive and click Properties, this will tell you your used/free space on the drive. If it's less than 128GB then you can shrink the partition down as much as the OS will let you. If the result is < 128GB then you can go ahead and copy the partition over to the SSD.

And if your running Vista or Windows 7 you won't need any program to shrink the partition, it can be done in the OS.

Im trying to get my OS from my 1TB HDD to my new 128 GB SSD that i just installed using norton ghost.
But, when trying to copy my OS, it is on a huge partition of my HDD around 998GB or something. So i cannot put that whole partition onto my SSD, what can i do?

the way they have it writin on the box of Norton Ghost, they say it is a back up software so how can you make a mirror copy of your hard drive and then put it on another drive. How do you do that?

Back
Top Bottom