Having trouble copying to a DVD

Drybones

Solid State Member
Hi there.

I'm having trouble copying data to be written to a DVD. When I drag files or folders into the window that pops up when I insert a DVD, I get the error message "Windows has encountered a problem when trying to copy this folder. What do you want windows to do?". The drive is a "_nec dvd_rw nd-3540a".

I'm still able to copy files and folders and paste or move them around on my hard drive, and I'm still able to burn CDs normally, and read and play DVDs normally. I've tried several different discs and types of data, plus downloading firmware off the drive's company's website and doing the whole "flash" thing where it apparently updates. The device manager shows the drive and reports that it's working fine, with a windows driver from '01. This is all strange because I've used the drive to write many discs before, and this problem apparently popped up last time I formatted and reinstalled windows.

One thing I haven't tried is using a third party burning software like Nero. I started the download of the trial but the site was giving me ridiculously low download speeds.

SO ANYWAY... what does it sound like my problem is? Let me know what to try and if you need any more info. And for the sake of following forum rules, here's a summary of my system from everest:

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name ALEX-56CA56EFB2
User Name Alex

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2400 MHz (12 x 200) 4000+
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4, AMD Hammer
System Memory 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (09/30/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (PU3053402492)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP04 - Audio Codec Interface

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive ST380817AS (80 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B (16x/52x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 76308 MB (55653 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Ralink RT2500 Wireless LAN Card (192.168.1.5)

Peripherals:
Printer hp deskjet 3320 series
USB1 Controller nVIDIA MCP04 - OHCI USB Controller
USB2 Controller nVIDIA MCP04 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device

Thanks a bunch!

Oh and also, when there is NO DVD in the drive, in the my computer window the drive shows up as "DVD-RW Drive (E:)". When I insert a 4.7 GB maxell DVD+R, it then changes to "CD Drive (E:)". This seems strange, yes?

Plus, I've tried automatically updating the driver from the device manager, and windows is unable to find any newer software.

You have have to install Nero or whatever.
XP with not write a DVD without it.
Be careful downloading free stuff.
Could get a virus.

Back
Top Bottom