Having a stupid moment.

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
Right, just a quick question for someone who's brain is corrrectly functioning today. My brother has this board:

Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 Geforce Socket AM3 8 Channel HD.. | Ebuyer.com

It says 'DDR3 1333+' on it, does that mean it supports speeds higher than that, or is the plus deliberately misleeding?

I said to him to get something like XMS3 4GB 1333MHz RAM as an upgrade to OCZ Gold series 1066MHz DDR3, do you think that's a worthwhile upgrade? His processor (Athlon II x2 250) is already pretty decent for games it seems.

If you check the memory specifications in the motherboard manual, it implies that 1333MHz is over-clocked. If I'm not mistaken, the RAM runs at 533MHz for a dual data rate of 1066MHz at normal speed on that motherboard. If your brother is planning to over-clock then the faster RAM might be worth it.

[edit] Oops, looks like I'm wrong, check the supported memory list.

AMD isn't as picky about RAM speeds like Intel is right now. (that is to say, Intel boards do much better with faster RAM than AMD systems do)

However, upgrading from 1066 to 1333 WILL give you a bit of a speed boost on an AMD board, and you're not being mislead, AMD's on die memory controller only officially supports DDR3-1333. Speeds higher than that require overclocking, which is fine if that's what you want to do, but in a stock config, 1333 is the end of the line for AMD.

Back
Top Bottom