hard drive question

ASSEMBLER

In Runtime
is it possible to run my master drive on sata and my slave on ide the only reason i ask is i have been looking at a abit mobo and it comes with the ide to sata converter but only 1. thanks

It's possible to have them both running. They will both have to be master drives. One using the SATA channel and the other using plain ol' IDE.

In SATA thers no such thing as master, slave. the slave IDE would become a master if it's the only HDD on that IDE cable. if your MOBO(motherboard) had 4 IDE slots and you had 4 HDD's (no CD/DVD drives) you could set them all to master as long as they were all on seperate IDE cables and ports.

you should also know that just becuase the PATA(IDE) HDD is running through a SATA port does not mean it's running at SATA speeds. it's still running at PATA(IDE) speeds.

how does the board no whitch drive to boot 1st if they are both master and why does the abit n7-s come with a ide to sata converter if it will still only run at ide 133 speed. thanks

ASSEMBLER said:
how does the board no whitch drive to boot 1st if they are both master and why does the abit n7-s come with a ide to sata converter if it will still only run at ide 133 speed. thanks

You set which one to boot from in your BIOS. In comes with a converter because now some boards only come with one IDE port now so that gets taken up by the cd/DVD drives. so it allows you to run a HDD(or a cd/DVD drive) through SATA.

I have bought the Abit n7 s so i will do as you all say thanks for all your help ill let you know if i need anymore when the board arrives.

i have set up new mobo 1 drive on sata 1 on ide but it only picks up the ide channel as master and i can't see a setting in bios to boot the sata as master.so i have reloaded windows using both ide channels and realised when i installed board drivers there was one for sata could this be why it was not picking sata up or am i doing something wrong.

both set as master 1 on sata 1 ide.

i need your help thanks

You need to install the latest SATA drivers for your motherboard. (Promise, I think, for that board). I'm pretty sure you need to create a bootable floppy, reboot he PC and then install them.

Thanks i have done it but i had to set my backup drive on ide to slave not master as someone said but all ok now thanks

Back
Top Bottom