Hard drive problems

Huw Pugh

Beta member
Alright guys, i wiped my hard drives on the computer before xmas as programs were crashing all the time, but no i cant load xp back on the. One drive is 160gb, the other 20gb.

When i put the xp disk in, it runs through the usual set up procedure, of wiping the drive/partition, then installs xp on the drive and reboots itself. But when it reboots, before it loads up properly, the message "Press A Key To Continue/Restart (cant remember which)" appears. It wont boot from the hard drive at all. If i try from the cd again, it just goes through the same procedure as above. The same goes on my smaller 20gb drive but it brings up a different error message.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix the problem and what it is? I thought perhaps the hd had become corrupted or something, but surely not both of them?!?!

Ive been having trouble installing xp with a dsl line hooked up.
Spyware and adware have been making there way to the systems before windows even boots. So have some virus's.
If you have a broad band connection hooked up disconnect it while your doing your install. Install your virus and spyware software first then go online for updates. Turn on the firewall.

If this doesn't solve your problem make certain your harddrives are set up properly in the bios. On occasion Ive bumped cables and knocked them loose though they "looked" ok. Check all your cables.

If i dont press a key then nothing happens. The screen just stays with the message on it.

Im not too good with the internals of a computer but my mate who originally put it together has had a look in the bios and all was well as far as we could see. It knows the drives are present, but just cant seem to read off them.

Back
Top Bottom