Hard Drive Partition Question

CamaroBoy

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, my first question on CF is... I have an ASUS P4P-800 E Deluxe Motherboard and I have a 160 gig harddrive but it only recognizes 137 gigs. I have updated everything i know of, but i cant figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. -Matt

Yeah, that is Window's fault. Is your HD Maxtor? If it is, then DL the Maxtor bigdrive registry edit to make windows see it. However, if it isn't, you can partition it and put junk on the smaller partition or even a full PC backup. :D Remember though, that 160GB won't show up as 160 anyways, only about 155-154Gbs (to lazy to do math right now) because HDD makers think 1GB=1000KB, however, Windows thinks 1GB=1024KB (it is right BTW)

You just reached Microsoft's 137GB maximum limit. You should be partitioning your drive anyways. Allocate 60 GB for Windows files on C: and use the rest for your data files.

That way you can avoid fragmenting your c: drive. You wouldn't have to defrag C: as much as your data drive.

Well...

easterndigital is correct. The system will only see up to a certin size if the larger drive support is not installed. It's common name is> 48bit LBA support. This extends the limit windows has on larger drives. On a side note, make sure you back up that monster on a regular basis. If you have a mechcanical or electronics failure you're gonna lose the whole drive not just a partitioned section.

Aight, Thanks everyone for all the help. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the insight.

Back
Top Bottom