Hard drive not working after power outage

adamorris

Baseband Member
I have a guy at my company here that decided not to take advantage of the battery back up on his computer and did not shut down his computer when the power went out. He left it on and the battery ran out and it then shut off. His HD seems to be trash now but I wanted to make sure I am not forgetting anything. It will not boot up on his computer. I have tried to use the Windows 2000 install cd to repair it and run chkdsk and make a new boot sector but it will not get past the boot screen for the bios. I have tried putting his HD on my computer as a slave but no luck there either. It will install the drive after I log on but it will not give it a drive letter so I can access it nor I can get to it by the computer manager/disk management. The only place I can see it is in the device manager. I have tried different jumper settings and no luck there either. Any help would be appreciated. I dont want to get software or take it somewhere to get the data recovered. Thanks in advance for any help.

Best I have found is GetDataBack from runtime.org
Spinrite 6.0 will retrieve almost anything but may take days to run.

Tried the data recovery and it gave me errors for all sectors it scanned. I think we are out of luck. No recovery for this one.

you sound like you know a lot about computers so if you say it doesn't work then there is nothing else to do.

I would suggest all the things you have tried and sorry i can not help you will need a new hard drive.

Welcome to the forums hope to see you posting a bit :)

Thanks guy's. I am just trashing it. Got him a new one and reloaded already. I guess I was just hoping I could get some info off of it.

sadly no. you could try plugging it to your new computer so you have 2 hard drives and see if you can access it but you will waste a lot of time and it may not work.

Hope to see you posting more on here, have a nice day!

Back
Top Bottom