Which hard drive to get....

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, I've got to decide what hard drive I want to get. I'm sick of fooling around with having XP take up so much space on this HDD and if I go through the task of reinstalling Vista and all the apps I have, I'm only going to do it once haha. So here are my options:

*Buy a new HDD SOLELY for Music, Movies, Docs, etc.
*Use my current 750GB for my OS(s)
*Use my other 750GB in my external (where it is now)

or

*Buy a new HDD (up to 1TB) to slap in my external for backups, transfers, etc.
*Use my 2 750GB HDDs and put them in Raid 1 so I don't have to worry about backing crap up.

To me personally, plan A sounds easier...I really don't have a lot of stuff that's really important to backup so Raid 1 would almost be a waste of an HDD. But I don't want it to seem like I answered my own question, so I still need suggestions....

These are the HDDs I was looking at and newegg has them all 10% off right now (up to 10 bucks off..promo thingy). Keep in mind, anything going in the external has to be 1TB or less....if that's part of your suggestion.

Seagate 1.5TB
Sammy 1TB
WD 1TB Is this slower though?...since it's the "green" version...like, will it flux. between 5400 and 7200?...

I'm not even going to post the WD 1TB Black because for 10 bucks more I can get the 1.5TB Seagate...so...

Let me know...

Plan B sounds like a waste. If you plan on usings RAID 1 so you don't have to worry about backing up, why get an external to backup to?

Don't get me wrong, I think you should back up data even if you have RAID 1 just incase a power surge comes in, but your logic for what you want is showing that you wouldn't do it often enough.

Yup that was my thinking. Plan B does just sound silly. It really would be a waste. So i'll probably just go with plan A....any idea on what HDD to get though?

...Oh btw, I checked and my external does support up to 1.5TB...hmm.

Is this slower though?...since it's the "green" version...like, will it flux. between 5400 and 7200?...

It's not variable speed (I thought it was too). It runs at a few RPMs over 5400 constant. That's how they can say between 5400 and 7200. I do trust WD more than Seagate, however.

I would suggest making a partion on your hard drive for OS. Around 30-40 GB? Then make another partion with the rest with all your files. I'd suggest to go with this http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4306125&CatId=2459

I've already been through that. I know what I'm doing. I'm OUT OF ROOM. That's the whole point in getting a new hard drive. And why would I get the one you linked to? It's only got 16MB cache, and for 5 dollars more I can get a 1.5TB drive.

Nevermind: Thanks for explaining the whole "green" thing. I definitely won't go with that one then--I wondered why it was such a cheap 1TB compared to the others. However, I trust Seagate and WD both. I've only had Seagate (3 drives total, no failures) so far, but I've had customers with WDs, so they are both okay in my book. The fact of the matter is that until SSDs become really mainstream, we are going to have to deal with drive failures. It's just part of the territory.

I think I'll be getting the 1.5TB.

Back
Top Bottom