Gtx 670 upgraded to Gtx 690??

Nvidiagtx

Solid State Member
Hi there guys,

Im new to the forum and id like to start off by saying hi :D

Ive been thinking of upgrading my nvidia gtx 670 to a nvidia gtx 690, the reasons being that alot of games i am currently playing a slow or lagging on ultra settings. Games like sniper ghost warrior 2, crysis 3, ect.

My current set up is this asrock z77 extreme 4, Antec 520w power supply, intel i7 3770k oc to 4.2, 16gb corsair vengeance memory, Nvidia gtx 670 windforce edition, windows 7, 1 tb hard drive, and one 250gb ssd and its in a Corsair c70 case.

What i really wanted to now was if i upgrade to a gtx 690 will i see a difference in quality and performance??

Will i be able to play all the modern games on ultra settings?

And will the current set up that iv have support a gtx 690? If not what would i need to make it fit?

I will only be playing on one 23 inch lg monitor as two or more will not fit.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers Nvidagtx

I would seriously consider upgrading the power supply since it probably wont be enough to support a 690.

The 690 is over $1000.00 dollars. The 670 is just under $400.00 dollars. US dollars that is.
The 670 is a SLI ready card. Why not, if your mother board supports it, just get another 670 card and go to SLI mode?
Take the $220.00 plus you'll save and put it toward a new power supply.

That idea has crossed my mind, and it is Alot cheaper. The reason I wasn't going to do that was the heat issues and limited airflow between the cards, and that two 670 cards will draw more power then a 690?

Cheers nvidiagtx

The 690 will pull in the hood of 300 watts. 2 of the 670's will be around 340 watts.
Those are the max estimated draws. You'll probably not get close to either one of those max draws.
As for that case it's an Antec P280 clone. The inside is laid out the same even down to the hard drive mounting trays. The only difference is the window. You could put 2 80mm fans in the window and have plenty of air flow.

I don't mean to be rude but I just can't get my head around the gamer mentality. You'll never come close to getting the full performance of that card. It doesn't have HDMI. You have to dongle that off a DVI port.
You may think you need that sort of graphics horse power to play games but in reality you don't. There are many other factors to consider that getting a high end card won't fix.
How fast is your MB FSB? How fast is your memory? How much cache does the cpu and hard drive have? That's important when your vid card is dumping out or getting in data.
How many lanes does that PCIe slot really have?
It's best right now to sit back and check the specs of your system and see if getting the 690 card is really going to help. The main thing you're looking for is, will the system as it stands now bottle neck the vid card's performance.
If yes upgrade the board first. If no then if you have the funds, go for it. I still think you'll come out ahead if you go with the 2 670 cards.

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated

Setishock i looked up those questions you sent me in the last post, and here is the answers to those questions

I hope this is the right information that i found, please correct me if i am wrong

cpu cache: i7 3770k 8mb cache
Ram speed: 666.7 mhz
MB FSB: 100mhz
hard drive cache: 1 tb 64 mb cache
Samsung ssd 512 mb cache
Pcie slots: 2 x PCIe 3.0 x 16 slots

What do you think? Could this be the reason why my games are running slow on ultra settings?

Cheers Nvidiagtx

Back
Top Bottom