Gtx 460 Fermi Temp Question

IknowLITTLE

In Runtime
So! straight to the point. gtx 460 fermi, 4 hours of wow, havnt touched fan speed, 64 degrees C. normal? from what ive read it is but id much rather ask just to be sure. :)

thanks for your time :)

Normal, without a doubt. Temps from 60-80C are totally normal for video cards, regardless of pedigree.

Sorry - some of us DO things on the Weekends. :p

Well I think 64C would be in issue if its idle, but you're right until 80C+ its aproblem. Mine hits 80C and stays around 78C-80C while gaming.

No, still not an issue, even at idle. People amaze me - they always freak out when they see temps over 60C on integrated circuits. Yes, the hotter they get, the more likely there's a chance of failure, but if you take apart a modern GPU and look at the heatsink, it's easily 1/4 to 1/2 the size of what people consider "normal" for a modern CPU heatsink. The fact that companies like nVidia and AMD/ATI can engineer a chip that operates NORMALLY at temps that range from 60-90C should be amazing to most folks, given how much they freak out about it. Intel makes CPUs (i7's, i5's, Core 2 Duos) that can easily handle 100C if they need to.

But if you have an OEM video card, and haven't modded the heatsink, and you're getting 64C idle, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I wouldn't even worry if the idle temp was 70C. If the load temp stays south of 90C, it's perfectly fine, and if the card is operating without any visual artifacting, that's another hint that the card is fine.

yep its under a load at 64 degrees. but another question i did have while were on the subject is, i sometimes get weird Shadows and Lines appearing on my screen while playing WoW. So let me describe where they appear to be coming up (and Ive only seen them while playing WoW) They seem to appear when moving and the ground clutter is changing a lot and the text box witch is mostly white sometimes gets a weird indescribable shadow above the letters. and also ill occasionally get lines going horizontally across a small area of my screen. so to put it in perspective the about this large of area ---- and the height of the is a little less the size of the letter (l) (they only appear when my mouse is moving around where i thought i saw them, the lines that is) this is insanely vague and I'm really having trouble explaining (if you haven't noticed) but hopefully you can have some what of an idea as to what i'm talking about. if not i understand completely, its incredibly hard to explain. ill try to get a screen cap of it happening. anyway thanks for your time.

EDIT: ofcourse now its not doing it. feel free to just not answer lol, i don't think i could understand what i just wrote from your seat >.<

Back
Top Bottom