Graphics cards

derFechter

Solid State Member
I'm looking to build my own computer and have several questions regarding graphics cards for all you out there who know more about computers than I do. :D

My plan for the system is something as follows:
E8400 Wolfdale

BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire

Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

and putting this all in a RAIDMAX SMILODON midtower.

My question comes down to the vid card, For a comparable price I could either put a
SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
in it of SLI two
MSI NX8800GTS-T2D320E-HD-OC GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3
in it.
What would provide the better graphic performance for gaming?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help!!!!

I have a suggestion as far as your PSU goes. CHANGE IT! Go to a more reliable brand such as Antec, FSB, PC Power & Cooling, or OCZ.

As far as video card goes, I think it will vary depending to game. There might be some games where the 8800GTS SLI will outperform the HD4850, but mostly the HD4850 will be the better out of the 2.

8800GTS Review
HD4850 Review

dude lol. dont go backwards. get the ATI card.

btw if you want to save money, you can get a lower watt power supply even tho it will work the same. a 500 W is sufficient for that system.

Thanks for the input.

Is there a rule of thumb for choosing the output of a PSU? I tried using the wattage calculator on Newegg and just ended up getting myself confused. Would it also be true in saying (for a good quality PSU) that having a slightly bigger PSU would up the prtoection it provides to the system?

Games i would be looking to play on this are Fallout, Oblivion, Crysis, Starcraft.

Back
Top Bottom