Graphics Card usually have video and sound card?

KevinG1

Baseband Member
I am just confused...Graphics card usually consists of Video and Sound Card both..is this right? :p

I mean if I am building a PC...If I just get graphics card this should be sufficient or do I have to get a graphics and a video card + sound card? I think it will then be too expensive wouldn't it be?

a graphic card is the same a a video card. most motherboards have built in sound you would see the jacks on the back. a video/graphic card can carry sound though hdmi but it would still use the built in sound from the motherboard it just uses a cable to carry the sound from the mobo to the card then though the hdmi(if it has hdmi capability).

I am planning to get this motherboard ASRock X58 Extreme X58 here
It does say it has the Audio Codec does it mean it has the built in sound?

If I get this motherboard then I am guessing no need for the video card (as this is the same) and no need for the sound card because of the codec it has.

Additionally, it says triple channel DD3 technology which I assume means I can put up to 3 x DDR3 RAM. Only thing I didn't understand was 6 x DDR3 DIMM Slots.

Most Motherboards have what we call an onboard audio and video. The video card or adapter has a blue plug if you will, and the audio will have a green port, blue port, and a pink port. Most sellers of motherboards often show images of the front and side of the board. If there are no images for the board look in the description for "onboard" video, audio etc.. Hope this helps you.

Oh and about the 6x DDR3 Dimm slots - Dimm slots are individual slots to hold a stick of memory so if it says 6x DDR3 DIMM slots then it holds 6 memory cards of DDR3 Ram.

Back
Top Bottom