Graphics Card Question

BeastOnceAgain

Baseband Member
Alright well I just bought this new JVC LCD TV. I asked a guy at American and he said that I was able to use this as a computer monitor, but he just said I need the right graphics card. I was just wondering what you guys have to say about it? Can I even use this tv as a monitor? And if I can.. What cards should I be looking at?

Thanks,

Cody

Any card with an s-video output will be able to hookup to the tv. When you are buying your new gfx card make sure you look for this feature. If you don't game then a low-end card with an s-video output would work just fine. Once you get your card you will need an s-video cable to go from the s-video port on your gfx card to the s-video port on the tv.

EDIT: you will also want to check whether your motherboard uses AGP or PCI-Express to determine which video card you need. If your looking for a low-end AGP card with s-video this should do just fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814241057

Here is a cheap PCI-Express card with s-video output:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102721

Of course if you like to game then you will want a nicer video card, but those two are perfectly fine for just hooking your tv up to your computer. Don't forget an s-video cable too!

Alright well I usually just game with my xbox. (That i actually just got the "Ring of Death" with today) So I will just go back and fourth between the 2. But what if i were to get another 17 inch monitor or so and have 2 monitors do I just need another graphics card?

No you don't need to buy two graphics card. Your motherboard probably has integrated graphics or an independent gfx card with at least one port for a monitor already.

So when you buy a new gfx card and install it, then you will have two ports for a monitor. Meaning you only have to buy one gfx card, not two.

Should be pretty cool as long as your video card supports the native resolution of the TV. It does have a 5ms response rate which is great for gaming.

I think I could always get a smaller monitor too can't I? Will a gfx card be able to support 2 monitors and one being 42"?

Back
Top Bottom