Graphics Card Decisions

Wydog

Beta member
Hey guys, i have an E-machines T5216, 2 GBS of RAM, 2.66 GHz Dual Core Proccessor, and 300 Wat Power supply.Currently i have a Radeon X1550 and im looking to upgrade. Im thinking of buying a Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT. Will this work on my system? I know it obviously needs a PCI slot wich my motherboard has but im really not sure if it needs a bigger power supply or what. Im really not smart about this stuff so any replies will help. Thanks so much!:)

Well, that card needs a PCI-E 16x slot, which the eMachines T5215 has.

As for the power supply, I would HIGHLY recommend one with more wattage/ amperage. The 8600 GT, though it isn't as much as a power hungry beast like its big brother, the 8800 GT, still requires a lot of power.

Depending on your budget, I would say a 450 watt or higher would be good if you don't plan on upgrading anything else, or a 580 watt or higher if you want to upgrade more things. Better to get it right the first time, and not have to get another PSU later.

I would get this one if you don't plan on upgrading anything else in the near future.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171018

Back
Top Bottom