Is this a good computer??

queencocobrown

Solid State Member
:D Sorry!! Evidently I posted in the wrong section before. Rookie mistake!!
Hey ya'll!! I am about to spend about $1300 on a computer . Oh yes!! Queen Coco wants the best . However, this is pretty much what I can afford at this time. The things that are included in this amount are the following:

HP Pavilion Elite d5200t ATX customizable Desktop PC
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Processor

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q9400 [2.66GHz, 6MB L2, 1333MHz FSB]

Memory 6GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM [4 DIMMs]

Hard drive FREE UPGRADE! 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB

Graphics card 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS [DVI, VGA, HDMI]

Primary optical drive LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive

Networking Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet, No wireless LAN

Front Productivity Ports 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, audio

TV & entertainment experience No TV Tuner w/remote control

Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

Speakers Logitech X-540 5.1 stereo speakers

Keyboard and Mouse HP keyboard and HP optical mouse

Productivity software Microsoft(R) Works 9.0

Security software Norton Internet Security(TM) 2009 - 15 month

HP Officejet J4680 All-in-One Printer, Fax, Scanner, Copier

HP 2009m 20-inch Diagonal 16:9 HD Ready Widescreen Monitor

I think that this is a great configuration based on the things I do with my computer. Ya want to know ?? Well, I pretty much surf the net, download music and videos, play games occasionally (eg: Pokerstars, lingo, yahoospades, etc.) Maybe in the future, I might play something like warcraft. However, as of now, the previous games I listed is what I usually play. I just want a fast computer that I would not have to replace in years to come. Right now, I am working with a gateway 2002 with 1.2 ghz of speed and 256mb of ram. Don't you think it's time for an upgrade? I do. What do you guys think?

Wow. Where are you buying that ridiculously overpriced thing from? You could do an i7 or phenom build for the size of that budget. If all you are doing is playing that stuff, you don't even need that great of a computer anyways.

You know not every one knows how or wants to build a system from scratch.
It's a pre-built with a printer and monitor. The price isn't too out of line for that considering it's prefabed.

You know not every one knows how or wants to build a system from scratch.
It's a pre-built with a printer and monitor. The price isn't too out of line for that considering it's prefabed.

Hence why I asked where he was buying it from. By the sounds of it, it's probably HP, and any of those companies are ridiculously over priced for the performance. Plus 20"ers can be had for a little over $110, and printers are pretty cheap...around $40 or less for a decent quality one (though I still say stick with HP...I've had the best luck with them). iBuyPower would be a good place for him to check out.

So even subtracting that $150, he's still at $1,150...still way overpriced for that system IMHO. We'll have to see what he says. If he's game for a scratch build himself, great! If not, I guess we'll have to see if we can find him a better value somewhere.

EDIT: And a few more things to subtract to get a rough build estimate...soundcard ($100), speakers ($80) and we'll say $20 for the keyboard/mouse. So we are still at $950. Still plenty of room a better build than that.

For what you will be doing this thing will blaze for you, kinda overkill but leaves PLENTY of room for future possibilities for other more graphic intensive games. For a prebuilt computer and the price I give you a thumbs up on that, take care of it and it will last you for quite a long time.

Are you willing to build yourself? That build is HIGHLY overpriced. Oh, and if you want the "best", $1300 isn't going to come close to covering it. If you want the "best", be prepared to spend at least $3000 if not more.

:D Sorry!! Evidently I posted in the wrong section before. Rookie mistake!!
Hey ya'll!! I am about to spend about $1300 on a computer . Oh yes!! Queen Coco wants the best . However, this is pretty much what I can afford at this time. The things that are included in this amount are the following:

HP Pavilion Elite d5200t ATX customizable Desktop PC
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Processor

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q9400 [2.66GHz, 6MB L2, 1333MHz FSB]

Memory 6GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM [4 DIMMs]

Hard drive FREE UPGRADE! 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB

Graphics card 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS [DVI, VGA, HDMI]

Primary optical drive LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive

Networking Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet, No wireless LAN

Front Productivity Ports 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, audio

TV & entertainment experience No TV Tuner w/remote control

Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

Speakers Logitech X-540 5.1 stereo speakers

Keyboard and Mouse HP keyboard and HP optical mouse

Productivity software Microsoft(R) Works 9.0

Security software Norton Internet Security(TM) 2009 - 15 month

HP Officejet J4680 All-in-One Printer, Fax, Scanner, Copier

HP 2009m 20-inch Diagonal 16:9 HD Ready Widescreen Monitor

I think that this is a great configuration based on the things I do with my computer. Ya want to know ?? Well, I pretty much surf the net, download music and videos, play games occasionally (eg: Pokerstars, lingo, yahoospades, etc.) Maybe in the future, I might play something like warcraft. However, as of now, the previous games I listed is what I usually play. I just want a fast computer that I would not have to replace in years to come. Right now, I am working with a gateway 2002 with 1.2 ghz of speed and 256mb of ram. Don't you think it's time for an upgrade? I do. What do you guys think?
I would SERIOUSLY avoid an HP monitor. These things are horrible. I have one, and it's been nothing but problems. My first one would go to a white screen every half an hour, and stay that way for 10 minutes after ~1.5 hours of use. I RMA'd that one, and then the one I got back was cracked. RMA'd again, and I now have my current one, a refurbished one that has the same problem as the first except to a slightly lesser extent. Not to mention the month of time in between each RMA. Everyone I know has had problems with these monitors, and customer service is crap.

also if you want the best and your going with I7 that is whole different animal.

Okay...here goes. I'm going to post a C2Q build for you. If someone wants to post an i7 build please do. I don't have the most knowledge in that area, so I'm not sure what components work well together.

Anywho (all $ after rebates and less s&h):
CPU: C2Q Q9550 - $265
MB: GIGABYTE P45 - $105
RAM: 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 -$55
GPU: Either this Sapphire 4870 1GB ($175) or this EVGA 260 core 216 ($170)
PSU: OCZ 600W Active and Modular - $65
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB - $90
Optical: LG DVD 22x - $23
Case: Cooler Master Elite 335 - $40

Total: $813- $818
Note, this is with a better C2Q. If you went with the Q9400, subtract another $50. No OS is included since you can get W7 RC for free for another year.

And with your other stuff:
Sound card (could probably find a cheaper one, but this is the one you had): Creative - $100
Speakers: Logitech - $79
Any mouse/keyboard is ~$20-30
Monitor: Acer 19" - $120

Total for this stuff is ~$319-329 (but could be reduced by a diff. sound card).

Grand total: ~$1132-1147 and again, could be reduced a bit yet. A much better computer for a lot less.

Okay...here goes. I'm going to post a C2Q build for you. If someone wants to post an i7 build please do. I don't have the most knowledge in that area, so I'm not sure what components work well together.

Anywho (all $ after rebates and less s&h):
CPU: C2Q Q9550 - $265
MB: GIGABYTE P45 - $105
RAM: 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 -$55
GPU: Either this Sapphire 4870 1GB ($175) or this EVGA 260 core 216 ($170)
PSU: OCZ 600W Active and Modular - $65
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB - $90
Optical: LG DVD 22x - $23
Case: Cooler Master Elite 335 - $40

Total: $813- $818
Note, this is with a better C2Q. If you went with the Q9400, subtract another $50. No OS is included since you can get W7 RC for free for another year.

And with your other stuff:
Sound card (could probably find a cheaper one, but this is the one you had): Creative - $100
Speakers: Logitech - $79
Any mouse/keyboard is ~$20-30
Monitor: Acer 19" - $120

Total for this stuff is ~$319-329 (but could be reduced by a diff. sound card).

Grand total: ~$1132-1147 and again, could be reduced a bit yet. A much better computer for a lot less.
Excellent build, for sure :D

Back
Top Bottom