general computer know-how

virus1

Solid State Member
im trying to get very good with computers, and i have a fairly strong grasp of computers as far as common day to day stuff goes...id like to start learning from the ground up as much as i can (mostly building computers, using them, security stuff, just whatever is needed to use my computer to its fullest and keep it safe...my last one got fried by god knows what...probably kazaa...i havent used it since). if anyone has a good website or book i could look into for beginner level knowledge of computers, or where to go from here, id appreciate it...thanks in advance

I recommend you go to your local library or bookstore and pick up a book called A+ certification. It goes into a bit of detail, isn't too hard to understand, and you will get into the info quickly and effectively.

Me and XPBEAST are making a set of instructional DVD's but we wont be done till like december 2006. But we have the basics and history almost done. ( this will be a very thorough set. history- "ethical" hacking)
we have the computer history vid done, and we have almost completed our basic component guide. (if you can wait for a long time this will help alot)

Better yet, take a class on building, upgrading, and troubleshooting computers. Every college has a different curriculum title, but all teach the same. You don't have to major in it, just take a couple of classes to get some insight on computers. Having an interactive class will make learning easy and fun.

I would also suggest you take a unix and/or linux class. Sometimes you can simply go to your college library or public library and obtain a book with a cd with different versions of linux on it.

If you go to repair someone's computer and it has a version of linux/unix on it, you'll want to know how to work with it.

College libraries offer much material. If you've never gone into a college library, check it out.

Back
Top Bottom