Gateway P-7805u, unable to boot.

xtqxx

Baseband Member
Hello, I have a Gateway P-7805u FX series, I am unable to boot the computer, I have tried 2 different AC adapters, different brands, both Gateway compatible. When I went to bed the battery was fully charged and when I woke up it was unable to boot, it was plugged into the wall all night. Woke up, no power , when I plugged in the AC adapter there was no light. But if i plugged in the AC adapter into to the wall by itself and not attached to the laptop, the blue light would light up on the adapter. And when plugged into the laptop the light shuts off. I am positve that the laptop functions without a battery if it was working :p, I do not think the problem could be battery related. Any ideads, Thank you.
PS: need the cheapest route, as my warranty has expired.

Okay. Wait. So you have tried booting these three ways:

On only A/C power (battery pulled).
On only battery (no A/C).
On A/C power with battery.

And none are working?

Also, did you have it plugged into a surge protector? Sorry, but to be frank, surges can still happen when you are sleeping... :rolleyes:

Hmm, odds are it surged.... Not good, is it possible that a laptop motherboard can be replaced, it does have removable parts? If so would it be best to go through gateway as to requiring a new laptop motherboard

Well, let's not jump to conclusions.

Does the laptop do anything when trying to power on? Any lights come on? And sounds that it makes? It would be wise to borrow a multimeter (voltmeter) and check the battery (you'd need to do some guessing) and the A/C adapter for problems to see if they aren't the root of the problem.

Its as though the AC adapter is receiving power, but as soon as the power is plugged into the laptop, the ac adapter no longer receives power.

The power connector is either shorted or has some cold or broken solder joints. I've fixed this problem on Dell laptops by opening them up, removing the motherboard, and resoldering all the connections from the power connector to the board. If that doesn't work, then the power connector itself needs to be replaced (manufacturers usually won't just replace the connector, though. they usually want to replace the whole motherboard).

Think ill bring it in to a local shop and give them the low-down. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom