Gaming needs...

Arsenal1

Solid State Member
Okay, i play games on my comp and so far I've figured out a few things that are needed to make em' run good: a graphics card, memory, and the processor. I've already got a 6800 vanilla, 512 memory (will add 1 gb) and a P4 3.0 ghz processor. But up until now I havn't thought about hard drives and their effect on performance. I've heard that a faster hard drive will help to run games quicker.

So, I've thought about buying an external hard drive and seeing if I could somehow save my games on it (from what my friend says) but I've already noticed that I have a 250 gb 7200 rpm HD that came w/ my computer. The only external hard drives that come on Newegg only go up to 7200 rpm w/ 80 gb. (Western digital)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144381

There is an internal Western digital raptor that goes up to 10,000 rpm and holds 36.7 gb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144200

1)Question is, would it be better to stick with the one I have, or buy one of the two mentioned above? A new hard drive would only be used for games like FEAR.

2)I've installed my vid card myself as well as a new PSU, how hard would it be to install an internal one? I know an external USB one can't even be considered hard to install.

You can save your games on an internal hard drive too. The Raptor drive is best because of it's high rotational speed, but at a very low storage capactiy. There's always a tradeoff somewhere. You can use that to boot or play games on while you use the hard drive you already have to store data or do whatever you wish with it. If you want to RAID them, it's out of the question because the drives are not the same, especially them being at different speeds and capacity.

You want to install an internal USB expansion card? It is a easy as installing a video card. Even easier, because there are no drivers you have to install. Windows does all that. Get the internal. Faster, like maybe in the microseconds or something. Don't know if you will really see the difference but it's also cheaper to buy an internal card anyways.

You are confused. Do not buy an external harddrive to play games on. Sure it is the same speed but you have to go through USB or Firewire that will slow things down a little bit. Plus even though many harddrives are 7200RPM there are a few different types. ATA100 (slowist) ATA133(middle) (most computers can run thoes two) and SATA150 (fastist) But not all computers can run theses you must have SATA controlers on your computer. And then there is the Rapter150 that goes up to 74Gb.

So, an internal hard drive would work best. The 74 gb one costs too much and I shouldn't need it anyway b/c I already have a 250 gb. The 34 gb one will be just for games. How can I check if I have SATA controllers on my PC? Its only about 3 months old.

edit: I just looked at my comp and it had a cord that said Serial ATA on it plugged into the Hard drive. I don't see another one though...

It looks to me like it has three other slots to plug into the serial ata. ONe is plugged up by the existing hard drive. I might have to be me a new HD then :)

Its running good so far, no problems at all. Stays around 45 degrees- 50-55 under load. Same thing w/ video card. Only thing slowing me down is memory :(

Back
Top Bottom