Game Piracy to be stopped by encryption chip

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/encryption-chip-will-end-piracy-open-markets-says-bushnell

Encryption chip will end piracy, open markets, says Bushnell

Speaking at yesterday's Wedbush Morgan Securities annual Management Access Conference, the Atari founder suggested that game piracy will soon be a thing of the past thanks to a new chip.
"There is a stealth encryption chip called a TPM that is going on the motherboards of most of the computers that are coming out now," he pointed out
"What that says is that in the games business we will be able to encrypt with an absolutely verifiable private key in the encryption world - which is uncrackable by people on the internet and by giving away passwords - which will allow for a huge market to develop in some of the areas where piracy has been a real problem."
Bushnell thinks that piracy of movies and music, however, is probably unstoppable because "if you can watch it and you can hear it, you can copy it."
"Games are a different thing, because games are so integrated with the code. The TPM will, in fact, absolutely stop piracy of gameplay.
"As soon as the installed base of the TPM hardware chip gets large enough, we will start to see revenues coming from Asia and India at a time when before it didn't make sense

no chance. They can never fully stop piracy, people will always find ways to get around protection.

isnt that what they said with the psp , with all its new firmwares and new mobo' s

you and i were hacking my psp the other day ,
they carnt stop us

Hahaha,You do have a point there!

Also i was thinking,people would develop a mod chip (Similar to those on consoles) that would bypass this 'chip'.

Ya know, I feel I have a good point when I say:

If the games and software these days wasn't so expensive, maybe people wouldn't pirate it so much, example, norton 360 that came with my laptop was 40 bucks to renew the subscription, and 150 bucks to buy the full program! Ps3 games are 60 bucks apeice for the new games, cd's are like 20-21 bucks apeice nowadays, I mean c'mon, lower the prices a little bit and maybe people would buy this stuff instead of pirating it!!!

Ya know, I feel I have a good point when I say:

If the games and software these days wasn't so expensive, maybe people wouldn't pirate it so much, example, norton 360 that came with my laptop was 40 bucks to renew the subscription, and 150 bucks to buy the full program! Ps3 games are 60 bucks apeice for the new games, cd's are like 20-21 bucks apeice nowadays, I mean c'mon, lower the prices a little bit and maybe people would buy this stuff instead of pirating it!!!

But they aren't really that expensive if you think about it. You go to work for a few hours and you earn enough to buy a game that you will be playing for tens, if not hundreds of hours.

Same with cd's. You work for 2h and you can already buy a cd that you will definitely listen for 5+ hours. (though most likely we are talking 20h+ if it's a good cd)

But they aren't really that expensive if you think about it. You go to work for a few hours and you earn enough to buy a game that you will be playing for tens, if not hundreds of hours.

Same with cd's. You work for 2h and you can already buy a cd that you will definitely listen for 5+ hours. (though most likely we are talking 20h+ if it's a good cd)

Though this is a valid point, look at the prices of everything else! Look at gas prices! It's going hit $4.00/gal here in the U.S. soon (I don't wanna hear any UK whining because I know your cars get WAY better gas mileage :) ) If I had to "theoretically" (legally I guess you could say) purchase my music, games and movies...I'd be in debt. Plus, I'm just a casual gamer and movie watcher. Redbox doesn't have crap for movies, if they did, I wouldn't mind just renting one for a dollar since I only watch movies once. I don't buy cd's because usually I don't like ALL the songs on the disc and movie prices are just ridiculous as well. I think if the prices were lowered, as someone said before, less people would pirate, and more people would buy legal media. I think prices nowadays are a joke...even considering inflation. The thing that pisses you off, is that it costs just cents to make cds, movies, and games. (Yes, yes, yes..I know there are production costs, but if you are going to put ads and banners in my game, just give it to me for free for gosh sakes.)

That's just my thoughts...

Back
Top Bottom