Friends comp

Pidge14

In Runtime
Sorry if for some reason a billion posts come up, my internet is being gay. but...

Okay, so my friends computer stopped working a couple weeks ago. We thought it was the CMOS battery since his grandparents who have the same computer had the same similar problem and it was the CMOS battery. Replaced it, nope wasn't it. Later the computer said somethign about a HDD failure. No biggie since my friend wants a bigger one anyway. Ordered one. not compatiable with his motherboard. No biggie since this forces him to upgrade. So we get it, hook it up, but it is not finding the HDD, what is going wrong?

Umm did he set the jumpers up correctly? Did he put it on master?

What interface is the HDD? IDE? SATA? SATA3.0Gb/s (incorrectly called SATA II)?

If you have IDE, check to see if your jumper is on the right position. Most are set at the setting where it automatically detects if it's master or slave, but you can change it.

Oh okay, well it won't natively detect it. When you're installing Windows XP, it should say something on the bottom, like "To install Third-Party SATA Drivers press F3" etc. I forgot what button it exactly is, but it's something like that. Then it should let you install the SATA drivers that came with your HDD. Of course, new motherboards have native support for SATA, now that it's so common, so it really depends.

so it would also say while loading windows that windows can't detect a hard drive right?

Back
Top Bottom