fried comp

MooseMan1

Fully Optimized
hey i'm not sure what but something in my computer smoked and smelled. idk what happened but we were swiching ram sticks for a science fair test. can anyone give me some suggestions in what 2 do when i get home 2 test to make sure that everything is ok and try not 2 do any more damage. that would be alot of help. thx

-mooseman

and i am lucky, it works!!! it's the HDD tat is screwed!! i turned on the other devices (cpu, motherboard, and ram) and she was just fine. then i plugged in the tmep monitor and the hardrive and then turned it on and the hardrive smoked from the bottem right corner and even made a tiny flame i think, i saw the light fire makes so i suspect it was fire. donno how it happened but it kinda sucks....250GBs gone...then again i am on the phone waiting on hold for newegg 2 get a refund or a new HD i'm severly luckly that my computer isn't screwed all togeather! it could possibly be that the moltex to sata converter is shorted, but i donno i wont be using it again

The whole thing go boom? Well, I would assume that just one device would go out. Computers usually shut off if there is such a problem usually. And the HDD smoking? That's a new one for me

yea i think that the moltex 2 sata power cable zapped it, but i'm not sure it pretty much happened out of nowhere.... but yea i call her a she and i'm lucky!

well i feel pretty dumb. it's the end of the weekend and here's the asumption. first my SATA hardrive got fried from what i suspect is the moltex to sata power adapter. then i swiched hardrives from my old 1.5 GHz AMD that we use as a family computer and zapped that by not turning off the power, when i plugged in the moltex connector 2 the hardrive it sparked and it quit runnin...yea it does suck but i guess it happens ya kno? :p today i just baught a cannon all in 1 printer, 512MB of ram for the old AMD(3 years old, going on 4) as well as a crappy 128MB agp, FX5200 i think it was. and a 40GB hardrive with 8MB buffer(WD) all of that is not for my system but the home one. so now i'm running my 1337 computer on a 4GB hardrive from my friends dads office....pretty sad i only have a gig of free space...but i'll do whatever it takes 2 get on the comp!!! ^_^ wont we all. i'll be doing an RMA with my 250GB maxtor with newegg and getting a refund i think it is, depends on rather they get it in stock or not. anyways i'll be getting off now, being kicked, isn't it horrible. well be back tomm

lol i did something similar to that, when my first got my comp(my old one) i unplugged the dvd rom without turning off the comp and it was fine, so i assumed i could plug it in without turning the comp off, big mistake, all i saw was a spark and the computer turned off, wouldnt turn back on either lol.

Back
Top Bottom