Flickering 2nd Screen :mad:

maddog1987

Solid State Member
I have a toshiba tecra a4 laptop, which i have recently plugged into a samsung syncmaster 920nw monitor to use as a 2nd screen. The laptop graphics card is an ati mobility radeon x300. the resolution of the screen on the laptop is 1280x800. i'v tried the screen with other computers and works fine. however, when i use it with my laptop, with the resolution 1440x900, the screen works, but i get faint flickering horizontal lines on the screen.
it doesnt do it when i reduce the resolution, or when i use it as the only screen, just when used as 1 of 2 screens and at that resolution. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

Rob

It's 60hz when you see the flickering? And are you sure that you were looking at the right monitors refresh rate? 60hz should be enough for an lcd monitor and I really can't think of any other explanation that refresh rate.

if i go on display properties, screen 2, advanced, monitor, under monitor type ther is default monitor, default monitor, and syncmaster 920nw, all of which are at 60Hz.
could it be that my graphics card cant handle running a 1440x900 and a 1280x800 screen at the same time? i say this because if i run the 1440x900 on its own, its fine, if i then extend the desktop back onto my laptop screen as a second screen, the 1440x900 screen begins to flicker again. i'v looked at my user manual n it says it should b able to run upto 2000x1200 (cant remember exact figure).

could it be that my graphics card cant handle running a 1440x900 and a 1280x800 screen at the same time?

yeah that's what I'm thinking. Since the monitor is fine and the problem only occurs at higher resolutions when using 2 monitors I thought that the vid card can't refresh it fast enough.

you could overclock it. Though it's laptop so heat might become an issue, but you can give it a try. Just make sure the card doesn't get too hot, can't remember the max temp for that card but I'm sure you will find something from google.

here is a nice overclocking guide.
http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=56938
I've always used rivatuner, it's nice and simple.

Ah yes i have had this problem with my old LCD, and it drove me crazy and eventually the circuits inside somehow got fried up, i could smell it.

Just take it to the dealer if it is under warranty still.

Back
Top Bottom