fixing heatsink fan?

mikee

Fully Optimized
Is it safe to use stuff like WD40 or duralube to fix a heatsink fan that's starting to get noisy and siese up?

no not wd40 plz that shit is not grease. its a degreaser. it also depends on the type of fan (magnetic or ball bearing).

wikipedia said:
It should not be used to free-up fans inside a computer because of its tendency to dry and attract dust; although temporarily solving the problem, WD-40 will in fact make it worse over time.

wikipedia said:
WD-40 should not be used as a general-purpose lubricant

I C well is there any kind of stuff I can use to make this thing be quiet?

you can clean it up the best you can with a Q-tip , and then use a very small drop of sewing machine oil to the bearing, but when i say small i mean a very little drop.

i know this sounds crazy but, i have acually done this...and no, i don't own a sewing machine, but i use it for squeeky door hinges and what not.

WD-40 is NOT a lubricant, it's penetrating oil. You use it to free up rusted bolts, or anything rusted or stuck.

You can use a bit of sewing machine oil like mr mixx said or something like 3 in 1 oil, both of which you can buy in most any store. I've done this before on an old pc that had a noisy intake fan. But...be advised, now that the pc has sat for a while, the fan does not work anymore, not sure why, but just be aware of that.

~mr mixx~ said:
you can clean it up the best you can with a Q-tip , and then use a very small drop of sewing machine oil to the bearing, but when i say small i mean a very little drop.

i know this sounds crazy but, i have acually done this...and no, i don't own a sewing machine, but i use it for squeeky door hinges and what not.
QFT, sewing machine oil works fine, simply lift the sticker over the fan spindle, apply a small drop of oil and spin a few times by hand, then I usually leave the fan sitting for a few hours spinning it each time I pass by until the oil has penetrated the bearing/sleeve completely, before replacing the the sticker.

Back
Top Bottom