Fist time building or even looking at building a computer

BetaGrunt

Beta member
I was planing on building a Pc and I was wondering if anyone could help me get the price down...
the things I was looking at so far are...
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Asus HD 7770-2GD5 Graphics card
Corsair Vengeance 16GB : 2x8GB
Epower TOP-800ws 800w ATX power supply 80plus silver
intel core i7 I7-3820 3.6 GHz
Asus Maximus V Gene
500GB HDD and 128GB SSD
Air Penetrator fan (around 120mm)

right now it stand at around 1,100$ if I can I would like to get it down to 600$-700$.
If some of these parts dont work together please tell me because i do want to learn about this kind of thing
i would like it to be a good gaming Pc for online games and console games converted to the Pc like skyrim.

when thinking about that you want a gaming PC, then i don't understand your choice of hardware. you favor CPU performance over GPU performance by allot. you should get a higher powered GPU then a 7770. at least a 78xx card for a gaming machine. games mostly relay on the GPU.
if you want the price to go down i'll say get a 8gig RAM kit instead of 16gig. you don't need that much.
then get a core i5 instead of the i7. there are no difference what so ever in performance between the 2 CPU's when it comes to gaming.
maybe a I5-3470 is gonna do the trick for ya.

if you are not overclocking and you are on a budget then a cheaper motherboard might also be a good idea.
you can find some good low budget motherboards, that focus more on power efficiency rather then features and overclocking.

when thinking about that you want a gaming PC, then i don't understand your choice of hardware. you favor CPU performance over GPU performance by allot. you should get a higher powered GPU then a 7770. at least a 78xx card for a gaming machine. games mostly relay on the GPU.
if you want the price to go down i'll say get a 8gig RAM kit instead of 16gig. you don't need that much.
then get a core i5 instead of the i7. there are no difference what so ever in performance between the 2 CPU's when it comes to gaming.
maybe a I5-3470 is gonna do the trick for ya.

if you are not overclocking and you are on a budget then a cheaper motherboard might also be a good idea.
you can find some good low budget motherboards, that focus more on power efficiency rather then features and overclocking.
thank your for the help and the reason why you might not understand my choice of hardware is because i have no idea what i am doing as of right now i only have a light grasp of the internals of a Pc. so thank you for your advice if you could tell me anything else that might be good to know id appreciate it.

My NUMBER 1 rules with building a gaming computer is:

If you have leftover money, always invest in your graphics card

The GPU will handle the majority of your games.

If I were you, I would lose the SSD, get the 1tb version of that harddrive(only about $20 more) and with the rest of the leftover money invest in a graphics card.

If you want to save even more money, switched out your mobo + processor for AMD. An AMD-FX 6100(inb4 intel fanboys start having a hissy fit) is very powerful, 6 cores + 3.30GHz mine has never gone up past 51% usage, and that was only when I was running Crysis + a ton of other consuming programs at the same time. Intel is overpriced, and the only reason you would get Intel is if you have a loose budget as their CPU's aren't better enough than AMD cpu's to justify their tremendous prices.

Have to agree with the I5 over I7 and cutting back on Ram to save a few bucks. You can always add more mem at a later date.

You can cut more out by ditching the SSD drive as well. I know you want it and yes it will boost read access times but it's an added expense that is not needed to start with. Cutting out the SSD, less mem and going with the I5 should get you close to your price range.

While I recommend against it, you can always search on craigslist for a PSU. If you live in a larger city chances are you can get a used one that is not old at all for just a fraction of the cost. Many people upgrade their PSU and even GPU regularly. Not recommended as I like my PC parts new but woth mentioning if you don't have the funds but want to get something going.

An SSD is good for your OS to go on, It will boot faster..

with out a doubt it's better and yes will boost faster and load programs/games faster. Still for wanting to cut out 4-5 hundred off his ticket price you can cut out and easy 150 by elminiating the SSD to start. It can always be added on at a later date along with the extra mem for little effort.

FYI: If you get the SSD drive ensure you have the brackets needed to mount it into the chase. You do not want it sitting freely in there. Ensure you secure it. OEM drives will not have the kit. You should consider retail packages or compare the cost to just purchasing the braket. If you have a 2.5 bay it should mount in that.

Back
Top Bottom