First Build - High-end Gaming Rig $2500 budget!!!

Area85Gaming

Baseband Member
Hey guys and girls!

Well, for my first build I decided that I was going to go for a high-end gaming rig w/ a 3-monitor setup. I would love to hear some suggestions and feedback on my rig. I thank you in advance for your advice!

Area85 Rig

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) Quad-Core ($180)
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM ($84)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 ($193.50)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 ($51)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 64MB cache 7200 RPM ($173)
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB ($215)
Video Card: ASUS Radeon HD 6970 2GB ($368)
Case: Antec DF-85 ATX Full Tower ($111.50)
PSU: Antec HCG-750 750W ATX12V/EPS12V ($95)
Optical Drive: LG GH22NS70 OEM DVD/CD-ROM ($18)
Monitor: Samsung P2770HD 27" 2ms 50,000:1 1920x1080 300 cd/m2 ($329)
Keyboard: Logitech G510 ($88)
Mouse: NZXT Avatar S ($46)

Total Cost: $2060

Hello, that sounds good and all but processor go for a i7 or AMD AM3 QUAD CORE 12400 4 x 3.1. thats 3.1ghz and 12.4ghz. Its great tbh. And go for the cheapest windows 7 operating system you can because i have loads of anytime upgrade codes, basically u click on anytime upgrade type in the code, restart computer and your done. U now have any one u want, i have ultimate if u want that code?!

I know a thing or two about building a pc so if u need any help just send me pm!

Hello, that sounds good and all but processor go for a i7 or AMD AM3 QUAD CORE 12400 4 x 3.1. thats 3.1ghz and 12.4ghz. Its great tbh. And go for the cheapest windows 7 operating system you can because i have loads of anytime upgrade codes, basically u click on anytime upgrade type in the code, restart computer and your done. U now have any one u want, i have ultimate if u want that code?!

I know a thing or two about building a pc so if u need any help just send me pm!

-1 to the i7-2600K

Reason being: 1. I don't need hyper-threading for gaming, it would only help me as far as video/graphic editing. I don't do enough for it to make a difference and it saves me $100. I don't mean to just shoot it down like that, but just saying. :p.

As a personal preference, I don't like AMD builds. I have used a couple and I just don't like the performance versus the Intel builds. No harm there, just opinion.

As far as the OS. I have the cheapest version of Windows 7 if you look at my OS posted :). I have a Windows 7 Professional already, but it is a 32-bit OS and I need 64-bit (got it free though). But an upgrade code to Ultimate would not be bad at all and I would appreciate it once I get my system built (within the next month).

Also, as I am a newbie to building, I will need any and all help I can (Watching tutorial videos) because I am not too well versed in where all the cords and connectors go. But it can't be too hard, since most cords can only go in one place.

Thank you for your advice :D

Ahh i see, im building one for high power gaimng e.t.c so got a bit carried away ;) I agree with the i7 btw thought u may like it though. Ive been using intel and wanted a change and the amd seems gr8!

Im building a pc to! Keep me posted on how its going and if u need help i can make a video for u on utube :L Ill pm u a code :)

cheers

Ahh i see, im building one for high power gaimng e.t.c so got a bit carried away ;) I agree with the i7 btw thought u may like it though. Ive been using intel and wanted a change and the amd seems gr8!

Im building a pc to! Keep me posted on how its going and if u need help i can make a video for u on utube :L Ill pm u a code :)

cheers

Haha I totally understand. Like I said with my original post, I did some extensive reading of product reviews and other builds before I even BEGAN piecing together this build. I originally started off with a Dual MSI Lightning Xtreme 3GB 580 surround build and then noticed, hey! with a single 6970 at a third of the cost, I can have the 3 monitor setup and great performance.

I am pretty well versed with the i5 and i7 models, even with the crap x79 and SandyBridge-E debuts as of recently. I am also trying to leave room for an IvyBridge upgrade come mid-Q1. I will have to check out your build, see what I can learn from it. And a video would be amazing. Most videos are too much talk, not enough show imo. But I'm sure I can piece together that parts to make things work.

And thanks for the code, I greatly appreciate that.

everyone seems to think having more memory makes it faster hehe.. 8gb is abit far fetched.. i think 4gb still is fine.. you said you're not doing video editing.. so maybe lower it to 4gb, no games require 8gb , they use the swap file

Other then that it's a really good computer altho I'd never spend $2500 ever on a computer unless I was really rich.. you can get a computer that can handle any games out now for about $1.4k easy

And you'll not need vids watching how they build computers, most motherboards and computer parts come with instructions.. you need to follow the diagrams.. that's how I first built my first system a good 8years ago.. I took my time and it worked 1st time.. if you follow instructions rather then the vids you'll be better off

everyone seems to think having more memory makes it faster hehe.. 8gb is abit far fetched.. i think 4gb still is fine.. you said you're not doing video editing.. so maybe lower it to 4gb, no games require 8gb , they use the swap file

Other then that it's a really good computer altho I'd never spend $2500 ever on a computer unless I was really rich.. you can get a computer that can handle any games out now for about $1.4k easy

Well, the thing with this build is, I am paying for monitors etc as well. Most of your builds, they are using pre-existing monitors, OS, keyboard, and mouse at a minimal. With that said...I believe the rig would only be around $1500-1600 altogether. Oh and money is not a problem btw. My original budget was $10K for the build (before looking at prices of hardware and realizing it wouldn't take that).

I will be doing some video and graphic editing, but not enough to constitute the need for hyper-threading with the 2600K. And besides, 8GB DDR3-1600 is CHEAP. Currently it's at $51, but before it was at $40 with the constant changes in prices. I originally had 16GB because I thought I needed it with the multi-tasking, but found out that I didn't. 4GB I honestly think would be pushing it. Ideas on this?

EDIT: And thank you. I wasn't sure if they came with step-by-step instructions or not, which is why I have been watching several videos on how to put one together.

the thing is, it's not like you can't go out and get more ram if it was slow.. even tho I believe 4gb is fine.. altho vid editing can require alot , theirfore i'd throw in another 2gb...10,000$ on a computer? are you really really human? lol man you're mental, don't mean to be rude or harsh as I don't know you but dammmmmmmmmmmm 10 freakin grand, wht you trying to build A F**KIN SPACE SHIP !lol

goodluck on your build, I don't build computers anymore .. and when I did build them I build my first one with all brand new products, didn't cost alot.. under 400pound, ran all the latest games. monitor wasn't in with the 400pound, I bought one cheap for it.. i remember it had 1gb and fx 5200 LMFA0 how old ? haha Also had the Gigabyte mobo, k8n i think, wow can't believe I remember it, AMD64bit 3000+ also

hehe makes me look really cheap and old

the thing is, it's not like you can't go out and get more ram if it was slow.. even tho I believe 4gb is fine.. altho vid editing can require alot , theirfore i'd throw in another 2gb...10,000$ on a computer? are you really really human? lol man you're mental, don't mean to be rude or harsh as I don't know you but dammmmmmmmmmmm 10 freakin grand, wht you trying to build A F**KIN SPACE SHIP !lol

goodluck on your build, I don't build computers anymore .. and when I did build them I build my first one with all brand new products, didn't cost alot.. under 400pound, ran all the latest games. monitor wasn't in with the 400pound, I bought one cheap for it.. i remember it had 1gb and fx 5200 LMFA0 how old ? haha Also had the Gigabyte mobo, k8n i think, wow can't believe I remember it, AMD64bit 3000+ also

hehe makes me look really cheap and old

Haha, yeah those models are ancient...like they should be part of The Fallen or something. :p.

And actually, yes, my original thought was to build a space ship capable of the ultimate gaming, monitor experience, and video/graphic editing multi-tasking capabilities possible. And trust me, I went through a few machines..the highest being around $13K haha. Granted they add 990x CPUs, Triple or Quad SLI, 3 monitors, some high end 1366 socket MoBo and a slew of other features.

But! I got chewed out for it, cause it was ridiculous and highly not needed for current games. That is when I realized that I can spend 1500-2500 on one and get the ultimate performance for the current market, no problem. And besides, this is a present to myself. I'm currently on my third deployment, in two wars and it was about time I treated myself to something that I really have been wanting...so yes, I set the bar high.

Though as you can see, I have come to my senses and shopped a bit more reasonably...and down to a fourth of the original budget and still under my current budget..so I believe I am doing great!

EDIT: Updated first post with added suggestions and saved $70, not bad.

single 6970, running 3 monitors all at 1920x1080 each ? whats does the gpu have left for games ?

Back
Top Bottom