first build

g4m3rn00b

Beta member
This is my first build, so I'm not exactly savvy as far as specs and stuff go,
I've done some research and have an idea, but I'm pretty much looking for
second opinions from anyone who knows what they're talking about. This will
be a general use computer; facebook, youtube, miscellaneous school stuff
such as word documents and powerpoints, etc.

here's a list of components I think will fit pretty well (I am a student,
and have a budget of hopefully under $500, including windows)

NZXT guardian 921RB atx mid tower case
Asus M5A97 motherboard
Amd black edition fx 4100 3.6 ghz processor
seagate barracuda 400 gb 100mbps 7200 rpm hard drive
corsair XMS3 2gb (2x1) 240 pin DIMM ddr3 ram
PNY GeForce GT430 graphics card
LiteOn iHDS118 DVD rom drive

Any comments/suggestions are more than welcome!

why have you chosen a ROM drive? then you can't burn dvd's.
you need a DVD R/W drive. where can you even buy ROM drives anymore? seriously?

you might want to consider getting more RAM.

you might also consider using onboard graphics instead of buying a graphic card.
i know you can do fine with the onboard from intels i3 and i5.
by not buying the graphic card, witch cost 400kr (danish price) you can get a i3-2100 for same as the fx4100, and a h61 motherboard for same as the m5a97.
so you safe 400kr. you could also use those money to buy a better cpu. like a 15-2320 for the price of 1300kr. so you will pay 100kr more, but you get better performance.

you could also go with the i3-2100 and use the money you safed on more RAM.
there is also a i3-2120. it cost 900kr. but you get that extra performance, and still have safed 300kr for more RAM.

thanks for the advice. It is a r/w drive, sorry for the mistake in the post. As I said, this is my first build, but I had a gateway desktop and upgraded from integrated graphics to a discrete graphics card, and the system ran noticeably faster and smoother, of course the graphics improved, and I am somewhat of a gamer so I am definitely looking for that effect. For the processor, I actually learned that the fx 4100 isnt even compatible with the asus m5a97, its the only bulldozer that doesnt, so im now planning on going for an amd phenom ii x4 965. I also found a better deal on memory, so now i'm planning on running ripjaw 2x2

Yes, I could upgrade the processor if I save money on the graphics card, but would a better processor running on integrated graphics be worth it?

no problem ^^
glad to help.
good to see your RAM improvement.

no, intergraded graphics will NOT be worth it.
i read in your first post nothing about you playing games, so i thought that you only choose a GPU to get an image on your screen.
but don't expect any good modern graphics.

Back
Top Bottom