Finally went and did it

Ð88

Fully Optimized
Well, after a long period of running my 6600GT i finally went out and bought a new vid card. I went with a Gigabyte 7800GT. Needless to say, it's awesome. I get way better FPS while playing games like BF2 and COD2. I love it.

One thing i was gonna ask though, is what sort of results should I expect from 3DMark 05? I ran a quick benchmark straight out of the box and I got 7000. I don't know if that's particularily good or not(for a 7800GT that is, it is considerably better than what i used to get with my 6600GT) so i thought i should get some opinions of what i can expect from overclocking.

Thanks for the help guys.

edit - ok wow, i had set it automatically detect optimal frequencies just now and it set it to 490/1170 and i went up by 1000 marks. So now i am sitting at a score of 8000 3D marks for 3DMark05. I think that's decent. With a little manual tweaking i can probably pull a little more out of it.

nope thats about right for a single one, dont forget two stock 6800 ultras get around 8.5-9k (dont quote me on that, im going by a friend who had two) and when he overclocked he got to 11k. so ur almost as good as 2 6800ultras...and it will act much better in games. i was thinking about upgrading to a 7800gt as well because the fan on my 6600gt died (luckily i had two) and now i cant find a replacment, so now i have a $275 paperwait until i can find a fan for it

MarxSoccer said:
You need to send me your 6600gt so I can take advantage of mine and my mobo, and SLI them :(

lol yeah i wish i could give it to you! however, i already promised a family member that i'd give them my 6600GT as soon as i upgraded to a new GPU. I almost thought about going ahead and running dual 6000GT's but some how I just went on impulse and decided to jump ahead to something a little better and just said screw it and bought the 7800GT.

One other thing I would like to ask is how big the effect is of not plugging in both connections of the card's dedicated power supply. It has the the two molex connectors coming off the one that connect to the card itself but i currently only have one free connector and so one is left open. It says in the manual that you should connect both for optimal power performance. Is it going to make a big difference if i leave it as is?

well i would get a y connector from ur local store, just a plug that splits one into two, i cant see why it would need two molex connectors, if the card requires 400w and ur giving it 400w through that one plug why would u need two. i'd say it'll be fine as long as u have the power for it.

yeah it confused me too, that's why i had to ask. hopefully it will be ok.

btw, i've never seena 7800gt in real life or looked at its specs so dont completely trust me. what i would do is e-mail nvidia tech support, might be faster and safer than waiting for one of us to help while ur card may be dying

Back
Top Bottom