Fans and Heatsinks

If I might ask, what is this computer going to be used for?

From the looks of your other parts, it doesn't look like you will be doing intensive gaming or video editing on this rig, so you could probably knock the CPU down quite a bit.

That CPU also looks overpriced to me, seems like the release of the i7s should have bumped that down.

What am I looking for in a good fan and or heat sink? What should I know before choosing one?

If you want a quiet fan, you are looking for the best CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute; how much air it pushes) at a low RPM. If you plan on overclocking, then you're just looking for a fan that can move a lot of air.

In a good heatsink, you generally look for one that's made out of copper (good heat dissipater). The HSF is only crucial if you plan to overclock. If you don't, most after-market ones will be better than your stock.

Here are some HSF widely used by overclockers:

Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Tuniq Tower 120
TRUE120

In addition to the questions stated earlier, I'd like to ask you the following: For about $100 more, would you consider an i7 setup? The CPU price would be the same, however, you'd be spending a little bit more on a motherboard.

If I might ask, what is this computer going to be used for?

From the looks of your other parts, it doesn't look like you will be doing intensive gaming or video editing on this rig, so you could probably knock the CPU down quite a bit.

That CPU also looks overpriced to me, seems like the release of the i7s should have bumped that down.

This computer is actually going to be used for some gaming and video editing. What do I need to do the change it so I can edit video more effectively?

also what is i7?

This computer is actually going to be used for some gaming and video editing. What do I need to do the change it so I can edit video more effectively?

also what is i7?

Intel's newest CPUs the Core i7 series.

2GB RAM seems quite low for gaming/video editing, especially if you plan to run Windows Vista. Video/Photo editing will definitely need more RAM, and gaming with 2GB would even be pushing it on Vista.

That GPU didn't really seem special at first glance. Second look and its actually not bad depending on what games/settings you plan to run.

For $1500 you can build quite a killer rig, the rig in my signature cost me about $1500 and that included accessories (keyboard, mouse, 25" monitor).

The tower alone was about $1200-$1250 USD, but I also had to pay about $100-$150 in CA taxes & monitor fees, so probably a bit lower than that even. Also add the Operating System to that so the tower in itself was probably less than $1000.

AMD builds are significantly cheaper than Intel builds, at only a minor hit in performance, unnoticeable in gaming (occasionally AMD performs better in gaming).

also what is i7?

I recommend you get a Core i7 920 and an Asus P6T along side this OCZ Gold 6GB memory kit.

The price on the CPU will be lower, however, the other two components a bit higher. Overall, this extra money will definitely benefit you coming video editing time.

edit: If you want something in between you could check out the new Core i5.

Back
Top Bottom