Extra RAM useful?

Kage

Golden Master
I've found, I can pick up another 2GB's (2x1GB) of RAM of the same I have in mine now for less than £30.

I only have Windows XP 32bit though, and already have 2GB's in the system.

Will there be any point ordering this and putting it in? Would I be able to use at least some of the extra RAM?

I think you will be able to use around 2.7GB of RAM if I remember correctly. Why not just get 2 (512MB) sticks and run 3GB, that way you donnt have so much wasted RAM. I am going to do that when I get some cash.

Well, I'm running 2x 1GB at the moment, and I don't think I'd be wasting a lot of money at all anyway for the set I already have. Plus, if I ever get a 64bit, I'll have 4GB ready I guess :p
Thanks for the reply though. I'll definetly be buying some.

Windows XP has no need for 4GB. Look at your usual tasks and see how much RAM you are using. If it's like 1.5GB then upgrade it, otherwise no point.

You're both partially correct.

Windows 32bit can only address 4GB of memory, that includes everything, graphics card etc, so with a 512MB graphics card Windows 32bit will report 4GB - 512MB = either 3.25GB or 3.5GB (depends on what other devices in the system use memory)

@ Kage,
If the memory is well priced and you have the money then go for it, especially if you're intending to go 64bit in the near future.

get as much as you can and disable page file!

disable that annoying thing once and for all, and let your poor hard drive have some rest! and give that memory the work they DESERVE!

well from my experience the jump from 2Gb to 3Gb is definately worth it.

i had 2Gb in my system and people will say that is plenty but when your running photoshop / dreamweaver / flash / several IEs/ windows live messenger / frostwire then the 3Gb makes all the difference.

so if you upgrade you ill prob be hitting 3.5 or so that will def be worth it.

Kewl :D

Thanks all!

Some people on the 3D forums though are running on 12GB+. I can tell why now...

Back
Top Bottom