external hard drive

davissr2

Beta member
i have a 120gb segate external hard drive that runs on usb. my son hook it up and worked fine untill he instaled a dvd r. the hard drive does not show up on "my computer". i have shut down and restarted to bring back but doesnt show up. are there some drivers i need for the hard drive and what else can i do to get this thing to work again?

Go to device manager and check the USB drivers. If any have an exclamation mark uninstall it and reboot. You can also just uninstall all of them and XP {I assume you have XP} will reinstall them on the boot.

davissr2 said:
i have a 120gb segate external hard drive that runs on usb. my son hook it up and worked fine untill he instaled a dvd r. the hard drive does not show up on "my computer". i have shut down and restarted to bring back but doesnt show up. are there some drivers i need for the hard drive and what else can i do to get this thing to work again?

if its a maxtor external harddrive then it comes with a cd, as do many/most external harddrives, pop in the cd given with the external harddrive and just follow the autoplay wizard. If not a lot of times just unplug the usb cable and plug it back in and a lot of times it will detect it that way.

Back
Top Bottom