explorer problem

bullzi

Fully Optimized
this is my friends problem, any ideas??

This seems to be a very common problem. When I boot up my PC everything seems normal. I then select the only user name and it hangs on the "Loading Personal settings" screen for a second. Then the next thing it says is in a text box and it pops up and says this: "One of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful." Theres only one option on that box and it is to hit "ok", so I hit it but now it does nothing, I can see the background but I cannot click (right click or left click) on the background, it does nothing. I've tried alot of things that were suggested (such as hitting F8 when doing bootup) and i've tried running in safemode, tried configure to last known settings and I've also tried the repair for windows on the Windows XP Home Edition CD. When the screen shows up with my desktop only I've tried going alt + ctrl+ del and then I start a new task like explorer. When I type explorer and hit ok it does nothing, it gives no errors and the startup taskbar and desktop items do not show up. I went then to msconfig and looked at that and everything seems to be fine, i even allowed all items on startup to start and then restarted but nothing happened.

So I'm stuck in a terrible place and cannot get out, I'm hoping you guys can be the light at the end of the tunnel for me otherwise I'm stuck in the darkness.

thanks guys, any ideas ill pass onto him

tell him to do a repair. ive had my system say the registry had to be recovered like he had it everytime but eventually after i reset my bios it went away. maybe he could try that

There are loads of possible reasons for this. Can you find out what he was doing on the system before this started happening, stuff like driver updates, software installations etc. Have you tried a system restore?

ya, ill get all that info and pass it on, thanks for the quick response guys as usual

Back
Top Bottom