Expansion memory for old mobo

d_source

Daemon Poster
Hi all,
My sister-in-law asked me to look at why her PC is running slowly so i've gone through it and determined that the biggest bottleneck is her memory (currently 225mb@266mhz). So i was looking to upgrade to 1GB@400mhz. I just want to make sure that the module i buy will work. The specs say nothing of dual channel so i would assume that its single channel only. Here is the website of her mobo specs

Here is what i am looking at buying
Kingston

Different store, same module

The ECC/non-ecc confuses me with ram and the fact that it says SDRAM sometimes but not always.

Will these work with this mobo? Can anyone show me anything better/cheaper?

Thanks.

yes will work perfect.
want to speed up quick?

right clickk my computer, clickl properties, click advanced tab, click performance settings, now click custom, untick all the boxes and then tick only two boxes named: use visual styles, and tick the one where it says, show common tasks in folders, after that click advanced tab, where it has virtual memory click change, well change your ammount to the one it says it can go to atleast this maximum, what ever number is at the second box put in the 1st, then click set, now clikc ok ok ok, then click start run type msconfig, now click startup, and off tick the boxes which programs you would not want to start up suich as Msn

That mobo take DDR 184pin memory. But make sure you buy a kit of two identical 512MB sticks instead of one 1GB stick, so the memory can run in dual channel mode, like this kit: http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=005977&cid=RAM.346.341

ECC is Short for Error-Correcting Code memory, a type of memory that includes special circuitry for testing the accuracy of data as it passes in and out of memory.

The only thing is that i dont think the mobo is capable of dual channel mem mode since it doesnt say anything anywhere in the specs or the manual. Will this still work properly? Wouldnt one stick of 1GB run faster in a single channel system versus 2 sticks at 512MB in a single channel system?

xx cobra xx - Thanks for the tips!

Haha, yes, you caught me! I did a quick search because I wasn't entirely sure. I actually though it was a preset profile for the memory timings and speed.

man i want to add some ram to this old pc i have but when i opened it up the case is so small and crammed i dont even know how i could get in there...

That mobo take DDR 184pin memory. But make sure you buy a kit of two identical 512MB sticks instead of one 1GB stick, so the memory can run in dual channel mode, like this kit: http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=005977&cid=RAM.346.341

ECC is Short for Error-Correcting Code memory, a type of memory that includes special circuitry for testing the accuracy of data as it passes in and out of memory.

Would a pair of dual channel modules (2x512) work in with my board even if its not dual channel compatible? The specs say 2 slots available but nothing about dual channel.

Would a pair of dual channel modules (2x512) work in with my board even if its not dual channel compatible? The specs say 2 slots available but nothing about dual channel.

download PC Wizard, run it, click on "mainboard" and then click on "chipset" and it should show if it's supported...

dualchannel.jpg

Back
Top Bottom