Even more questions! (Conroe)

Mfmwuq

Baseband Member
Sorry I'm gonna sound like a repetitive newbie, but I just ordered a PC and the specs are:

# CAS: X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control
# CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Pentium® D 940 Dual-Core CPU @ 3.2GHz 800FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
# FAN: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit + 2 EXTRA CASE FANS
# HDD: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
# MONITOR: ViewSonic VA1912WB WideScreen 19" Color TFT Active Matrix SXGA LCD Display Monitor [+26]
# MOTHERBOARD: Asus P5ND2-SLI nForce4 Chipset LGA775 DDR2/667 SATA RAID Dual PCIE w/7.1Audio,GbLAN,&USB2
# MEMORY: 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair XMS2 PC6400 DDR2 Twin2x 800MHz 5.5.5.12 latency
# NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
# OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
# POWERSUPPLY: NZXT PF-500 500Watt Power Supply [+49]
# VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GT 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

Question 1: I am planning on getting a Conroe E6600 and I checked out the Conroe MoBo thread, but I had no idea what I was looking at, or which chipset I had. What would be the easiest way to get a Conroe processor after my PC arrives? In other words, which motherboard would fit my computer's specs and be Conroe compatible?

I checked the site which I bought my computer from and they don't have any of the Mobo's that are Conroe compatible, so I'll have to buy it from Newegg.

Question 2: Check out my RAM and my Mobo; will they work together? I got RAM separatly, so I just wanted to make sure theyll work without problems.

..i don't see why you would stop using such a nice processor like the pentium d 940... but since it's socket lga775... conroe should work with your motherboard since conroe is also lga775... that's a nice computer though.. i would consider leaving it as it is.. sure an e6600 would be an improvement, but taking out that 200 dollar processor would just be such a waste.

Wow, your system is loaded. You can probably handle just about anything out there. I have to agree kchi55 though, your 940 pentium d isn't outdated already. Wait a year or so before upgrading.

kchi55 said:
..i don't see why you would stop using such a nice processor like the pentium d 940... but since it's socket lga775... conroe should work with your motherboard since conroe is also lga775... that's a nice computer though.. i would consider leaving it as it is.. sure an e6600 would be an improvement, but taking out that 200 dollar processor would just be such a waste.

Conroe and Presslers differ in voltage demands. Thats why most LGA775 motherboards arent Conroe compatable. Thats the whole reason i made the conroe motherboard list. With the launch of Conroe, Intel has just outdated its own processors. The pentium Ds are not good performers compared to their AMD counterparts. The motherboard you got will NOT support Conroe. You will have to change motherboards in order to get Conroe support.

ownage said:
Conroe and Presslers differ in voltage demands. Thats why most LGA775 motherboards arent Conroe compatable. Thats the whole reason i made the conroe motherboard list. With the launch of Conroe, Intel has just outdated its own processors. The pentium Ds are not good performers compared to their AMD counterparts. The motherboard you got will NOT support Conroe. You will have to change motherboards in order to get Conroe support.

Yep, which was exactly i was asking, I have no idea which would fit my system. I checked your thread, but I don't know which chipet relates to mine, or which one of those mobos would go with the rest of my set up.

All the Conroe motherboards are LGA775. Everything will work with the things you mentioned in the first post. The chipsets is all up to you. I listed them in order from highest performance.

ownage said:
this is unrelated to the topic but thanks for clearing that up for me. didn't know. figured lga=lga like 1+1=2

Back
Top Bottom