Ethernet in two rooms

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
So, two desktops, each in a different room (one downstairs, one directly upstairs). How to connect both with ethernet?
The one downstairs is using the ethernet from the modem, and the upstair PC is using WiFi with the same modem.
I was thinking of drilling a whole between the floor, but that might be kind of difficult, and I don't know how to do it.

you can get these plug sockets. you plug one into the wall near the router and connect an ethernet cable, another upstairs near the pc and run ethernt cable between the plug and computer and gives networking throughout the house using the electrical lines

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/8284334/Devolo-dLAN-duo-HomePlug-Ethernet-USB-Network-Adaptor/Product.html?&_$ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:8284334|cat:Networking

used them before i moved into a flat. pretty decent and saves drilling holes in the floor and having cables running up your walls.

How well does that perform? If it's the same/worse than wireless, then it's not worth it.
I'm trying to increase the connection for online gaming BTW.

The ping will be faster, but the connection speed of wirelessN seems to be better. Have you considered running cat 5 cables through the wall or tapping a coaxial line?

the power adapter (ping i guess) also costs ~100USD
i would rather use an exhisting cable and see if you cant pull it back to the other room with a string on the end
then use the string to pull both the ethernet and the other cable thru the wall
:D
but that might not be possible :D

Hi,
By far, the simplest, easiest, and cheapest connection between two PCs is through a Category 5 Ethernet crossover cable. If you're using Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista, it's virtually automatic. In summary: You turn both PCs off, connect the crossover cable between the Ethernet port on one PC and the Ethernet port on the other, and then turn them on and boot up. In a couple of minutes, you should be connected. That's all it takes!
Thanks

Depending on how your house is laid out, you might be able to use the cold air return vents and litterally just drop the wire down one floor thru the vents.

Depending on how your house is laid out, you might be able to use the cold air return vents and litterally just drop the wire down one floor thru the vents.

Don't really have a vent except the one for the heat.

Lol it isn't that hard to run the wires through the wall, it just takes some time. You'll end up with something that looks much cleaner.

Doesn't that require me to make a hole in the wall?

Back
Top Bottom