Empty folders - are they needed?

it depends on whether or not they are system folders, or folders being used by applications. Otherwise, yes.

Yes and no...

Some programs such as AOL create folders to store temp files in. Problem is when you end the program they remain.
I use a program called > find junk folders <. I have not had any problems out of using it. The programs that need to generate a folder will see it's gone and do so. This program has built in safeguards. It won't delete a system folder and you have to click ok on an alert box that comes up when it hits one.
I'm sorry to say it's not on my laptop so I don't have the link to get it. But you can use good old Google to track it down. Check www.majorgeeks.com for it too.

Re: Yes and no...

setishock said:
Some programs such as AOL create folders to store temp files in. Problem is when you end the program they remain.
I use a program called > find junk folders <. i have not had any problems out of using it. The programs that need to generate a folder will see it's gone and do so.
I'm sorry to say it's not on my laptop so I don't have the link to get it. But you can use good old Google to track it down. Check www.majorgeeks.com for it too.

I used "find empty folders" to find them!

Cheers.

hmm in that case they are probably empty then :p

Though hideen files might not be able to be found, which could be stored in these folders. One way to find out is to open one you think is blank and go to Tools, Folder Options, adn then under the View tab, make it possible to see hidden files, and press okay. Do any appear?

if not, you can be pretty sure its blank :) I would try this with about 10 of them to see if any are different.

I hope this helps

Oops...

I should have told you it's find junk files. Find empty folders is another program that comes with it. Find dead links is one of the others. I don't recall if the find empty folders will delete them. But an empty folder takes next to no space and is isn't really hurting anything.
It's best to err on the side of caution. Try running ccleaner.
www.ccleaner.com

Back
Top Bottom